Was I duped??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have purchsased the 3535 Surface suction extractor to go with my Eheim 2215 filter. It is supposed to skim protein off the top of the water. I have assembled it per the instructions and it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I have been using it for about a week now and I don't see water flowing through it. How can I be sure I have assembled it correctly and that my unit is functioning correctly?

Any advice is helpful.

I thought those were for freshwater tanks...like to help skim leaves off the water surface.

a saltwater protein skimmer uses a collection cup...I googled your 3535 Surface suction extractor, and it doesn't look like a protein skimmer...just a tube that catches plant leaves and other floating surface debris..and might remove that later of film a freshwater tank sometimes builds up.

for actual protein skimming...I think it's useless. a real protien skimmer uses foam fractionation to ionicly bond DOC's to the micro bubbles in the skimmer. THe DOC's are both attracted to, and repelled by water (sort of like a magnet with polar ends). The surface of an air bubble satisfies both needs, and thus the DOC's latch on to the bubbles, which rise and burst in the collection cup, trapping the DOC's for removal.

The more contact time with the bubble in the chamber, the better the skimmer. The smaller the bubbles...the more bubble surface area...thus...the better the skimmer.

That extractor will keep your water clearer though as it'll collect the larger particle debris.

They guy at the fish store I bought it from knew I have a SW tank. If you put your hand in the water by the Intake that came with the filter, you can feel the water being sucked into it. If you put your hand by the intake on the extractor, you don't feel anything.

Open up the cabinet under my tank and you see the canister filter, one line coming in and the other going out. I had to buy a "T" connector for the return line and hook up the extractor that way. As I said I have it connected just like the instructions show, well from the limited pictures they show. The instructions aren't the best. So anyway, the return line is split into 2 where both the extractor and the intake are supposed to be pulling water into the filter.

I just don't get it.

Just because he knew you had a SW tank, doesn't mean he didn't sell you the wrong thing, just to make a sale.

I agree with Malkore on this.... Tank it back..... never seen that thing on a SW tank before and never heard of it.... I would say the LFS sold you something you don't need..... You need a protein skimmer....
superskimmer.com to get an idea...

Back
Top Bottom