water change salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukki

Aquarium Advice Regular
was just reading about random stuff and the thought popped into my head if you could save old water change salt and reuse it.... somehow forcing the water to evaporate quickly back into its salt form... annnnd then scraping it all back up and reusing it, or re-adding water or something... lol

not that i really want to do that or anything, because even if its possible the thought of using fresh salt sounds 100x better

but is this even possible, feed my curious mind =P

I imagine that alot of the stuff in the salt would then be gone. The calcuim and all the other little trace elements that are essential to fish and come in the salt, would probably be dissipated in reused salt.

Not sure however, but salt is so cheap...it's almost worth just buying a new bag that you know is good to go. 8)

interesting thought, and you're right about loosing the trace elements (i would think).......... :wink: ..I wouldn't say that salt is cheap though

I agree that the trace elements that come in marine salt would long be removed from this old salt

How would you force the water to evaporate quickly? My guess is the water would would stagnant weeks or months before it finally evaporated.

i guess just by heatting it pretty high and alot of surface movement.... i wonder if you could boil it lol... i dunno i figured the elements in the salt would be burned up but wasnt sure, didnt really plan on doing this....

to much free time :D

Pghjeff71 said:
How would you force the water to evaporate quickly? My guess is the water would would stagnant weeks or months before it finally evaporated.

If you place some sort of movement on the surface of the water (i.e. a fan blowing on it) or the hotter the water, the faster it will evaporate. The fan will evaporate the water alot quicker though.

would boiling it on the stove work. just put a lid on it and when you take the lid off make sure all the condinsation is all dry. and bingo. SALT??? well just a thought. i tried

Back
Top Bottom