Water changing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I thought I had a good idea but I'm having some trouble with it. Due to my lights I'm unable to dump water directly above the tank. Someone had suggested I try hooking a PH up to some tubing and doing it that way.. I ran into two problems:

1) the power head opening is exactly 1/2 inch. 1/2 inch tubing does not fit, and 5/8" tubing is too big and water leaks out. I cant seem to find an inbetween size.

2) I did manage to remove just the triangle peice and attach it to the black cylander part ( removable peice) by wedging it inside - but it didnt work for long ( didnt seem strong enough to push water 4 feet up into the air - bucket on the ground)

Marineland / Aquaria Maxi Jet Power Head Pump Reptile <-- this powerhead, the 900 I believe, about 250 gph.

any suggestions?
I dont have a sump at all so I cant just dump it in there.
I really would LOVE an easy way to change my water :)

Thanks!! :)

I would try 2 things:
1. use a circular clamp found in most auto parts stores or departments for the 5/8 tubing and
2. try putting the bucket you use on a chair or something to raise the bucket to a height the same as the tank. or
3. are you using a hob fifter or something else like a wet /dry, then you could pour the make up water into sump area of the wet dry or hob and let the pump return the water to the tank

Hmm thats worth a shot. Ill give it a try. Thanks :)

more suggestions welcome as well

So I thought I had a good idea but I'm having some trouble with it. Due to my lights I'm unable to dump water directly above the tank. Someone had suggested I try hooking a PH up to some tubing and doing it that way.. I ran into two problems:

1) the power head opening is exactly 1/2 inch. 1/2 inch tubing does not fit, and 5/8" tubing is too big and water leaks out. I cant seem to find an inbetween size.

Hmmm... I use a MaxiJet and I thought I used 5/8" tubing for the same thing you're talking about. If a little water leaks out, no biggie since the MaxiJet is underwater. But I'm guessing you mean it just plain doesn't pump any water out the tube.

You can always boil some water and put the 1/2" tubing in the hot water for about 30 seconds. Let it get good and pliable. Then stick the tubing over the MJ outlet. Don't expect to remove it though!

2) I did manage to remove just the triangle peice and attach it to the black cylander part ( removable peice) by wedging it inside - but it didnt work for long ( didnt seem strong enough to push water 4 feet up into the air - bucket on the ground)

Not sure what you mean in the first part of this, but in using a MaxiJet you're going to have to put the bucket up on a step stool or something. They're good for 2 feet, but not 4.

I use the same MaxiJet1200 with tubing to pump from my SW storage tank to my bucket, and then the bucket into my tank. I just put the bucket up on the 2nd step of one of those foldup step stools.

Hmmm... I use a MaxiJet and I thought I used 5/8" tubing for the same thing you're talking about. If a little water leaks out, no biggie since the MaxiJet is underwater. But I'm guessing you mean it just plain doesn't pump any water out the tube.

You can always boil some water and put the 1/2" tubing in the hot water for about 30 seconds. Let it get good and pliable. Then stick the tubing over the MJ outlet. Don't expect to remove it though!

Not sure what you mean in the first part of this, but in using a MaxiJet you're going to have to put the bucket up on a step stool or something. They're good for 2 feet, but not 4.

I use the same MaxiJet1200 with tubing to pump from my SW storage tank to my bucket, and then the bucket into my tank. I just put the bucket up on the 2nd step of one of those foldup step stools.

Ahhh good idea! Yes, it seems the 5/8" seems a little too big in the fact that it allows water to come out the sides of the tube and wont go very far in the tube. I do have a maxi jet 600 I can maybe attach the 1/2 inch the way you suggested. I'll certainly have to try using a chair, I'm sure that'll help as well.

The directional peice at the end is what I ment ( the part you point up or down), but the pressure after a certain point wouldnt allow it come out anyhow.

thanks for the help!

I bought a used mag-3, rated to push 75gph at 8 feet. I leave my water in the back room and hosing out to the tank for PWC's

You can find them pretty cheap on Ebay

Back
Top Bottom