Water movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Water movement?

Okay why is it that i always hear that you want about 20x water movement in our tanks, but more with acros at around 30x, as this would obviously be a different amount of water moved in different sized tanks. Is it to do with food, or to keep the corals clean? So should i be looking for a certain amunt of water moved around the acros like 10,000 litres, or ?x the water volumn?

Also when working out my water movement i have two tunze streams that come on in surge sequence. They each move 7,000 litres an hour. So should i count this as 7,000 litresor 14,000 litres?

Andrew

The first part of your question is that water movement does a number of things. Keeping the water moving prevents junk from resting on the floor, possibly covering corals or just rot on the floor... so movement keeps it heading back to the filter. Corals (verying movement for varying kinds) love movement, it helps them grow and keeps them clean and when soft corals inflate and deflate.. they use the water around them. With that note Powerheads help with water quality as well... so with better water quality comes much better health/

Okay I just looked at your tank size.. and I am very jealous :wink: - But getting back to topic, this is highly debated. In general its whatever your tank needs, so long you go for a minimum of about 6-7 times the tank. There are people who do up to 20, but like I said.. its preferenced to your tank. It also depends on the positioning of your corals in your tank. Also whats turn over rate is your water outlet (the nozzle throwing water back into your tank) ?

the turnover in the tank at the mo is 38x but two of the pumps only work one of a time so 30x, the return is a deltec pump running at 2000l an hour and this goes to a spray bar which has a one way valve on it tounder the rockwork to stop detrious build up.

Back
Top Bottom