water OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 46 gallon LR & LS with a blue damsel, red banded shrimp, emerald crab and a cleaning crew. The tank has red algae on the glass (not bad) near the sand bed and a friend said that's OK, is it?

My other question is, I'm seeing green algae growth (I think) on the LR and on the the back glass, also my sand bed appears to be blotchy with florescent green patches and or streakyness if that's a word?......

I just tested my water as follows;
SG 1.024
PH 8.2-8.3
Nitrate was < 10ml/g using Aquarium Systems color pallets
Amonia Ni 0.0 using Aquarium Systems color pallets
temp 80.5
50/50 compact FL 4:30 -> 11 PM

The water is clear and I'm getting skimmate from my protein skimmer.

Should i be alarmed?

Thanks.

What does the red algae look like? If it is sheetlike and removes easily in layers it is cyanobacteria. It is caused by excess nutrients in the system. If left alone it will spread quickly and take over the tank soon. You need to find the cause of the excess nutrients(overfeeding, overcrowding). For now you need to keep it siphoned out and increase the water flow to keep it from taking hold.

Ask your lFS if they would be able to test your phosphate levels. If so bring them some sample water and have them test it. I suspect your phosphates are elevated. Phosphates are the #1 food for cyano and other nondesired backtera. You can try to syphon out the cyano as much as possible but until you get to the root of the problem it will only return. Sometiems as fast as 1 day later.

high phosphate levels

I was advised to do a massive water change which I'll start tomorrow.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom