Water parameters and salt creep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

method0075

Aquarium Advice Regular
To start off I have a 10 g nano -
ph 8.2
no2 0ppm
n03 20ppm
ammonia 0ppm

I had a star recently die and have not been ably to remove whats left because it is buried in the LR. Crabs have eaten most of it. My question is how can I get my n03 back down to zero like it was a week ago?

I`m also curious about salt creep... What exactly is it? My tank has salt on the edges like flaky crystal stuff. My salt reading is now down to 1.030 What is the best way to measure the amount of salt to add? I could use some expert advice here ;)

To get you Nitrates down you can do a couple water changes. A good skimmer will also help with this. As a last resort you could always use a nitrate sponge.

Salt creep is exactly what you saw. From the water evaporating and from power wire going into your tank(heaters, Powerheads) salt will slowly follow up the cord and out of the tank.

As far as measuring salt, just follow the instructions on the bag. NEVER add salt directly to the tank, and try to age it atleast 12-24 Hours before adding it.

A good SG level is 1.025 so the 1.030 is a little high.

Make all changes slowly.

1.03 is most likely due to evaporation. Replace evaporated water with RO water. Add salt water when doing water changes.

and to stop creep on your tank...
take some plain vasoline on your fingers and smooth some on the wire before it goes into the water, also on the edges of where it creeps, will stop creep...

Back
Top Bottom