Water parameters good except alk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krollo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, all my water parameters are fine except for alkalinity. I have a 125 gallon mixed reef tank with fish and it has been up for over a year. My mag is 1400, calcium 480, po nitrates are both 0, PH is 82 temp 80.4 F. I use kent marine reef salt with RO/DI water. No TDS's. My alk is 7dkh and use to run in the 8 dkh range. Just wondering how to get back to that range. I do PWC of approx 20 gallons every other week.

I do not dose with anything. The 40 gallon a month or 30% water change per month always seemed to keep my parameters in check, it's just been recently that my Alk has been at 7 dkh.

What salt do you use? Thats awesome that you can keep your mag and ca that high without dosing...

Kent marine reef salt. I order the 200 gallon box for around 50 bucks from pet solutions

image-525284166.jpg

Dissolving 1/2 cup of KENT Marine Reef Salt in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of purified 78°F water will yield a solution with the following properties:
Specific Gravity: 1.021 - 1.023
pH: 8.2 to 8.3
Calcium: 425 to 450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,150 to 1,250 ppm

To reach the recommended specific gravity of 1.024 to 1.026 for reef aquariums, dissolve an additional 2 tablespoons (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) of KENT Marine Reef Salt per 1 gallon (3.8 L) of purified 78°F water. This will yield a solution with the following properties:

Specific Gravity: 1.024 - 1.026
pH: 8.2 to 8.3
Calcium: 550 to 575 ppm
Magnesium: 1,350 to 1,450 ppm

I use the instant ocean reef crystals and my calcium is always high and my dk is always like 11 I can't test mag but I was told it was related if it was low the dk would be

If you have softies and lps they will use the alk to grow. Could be why your low I dose oceans blend usually more alk then calcium .

I use the instant ocean reef crystals and my calcium is always high and my dk is always like 11 I can't test mag but I was told it was related if it was low the dk would be

I was told the same... So I kept my ALK at 8-9 and ca at 440-460. I was losing coraline so I had my mag tested.... Was at 1080!! So now I dose to keep it at 1350-1400.

Also it depends on the tanks inhabitants. The more corals the more consumption of elements.

Back
Top Bottom