Water volume help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
anyone remember the equation to figure how much water a sump will hold?
I am interested in getting the Megaflow model #4 sump/filter from all-glass and Im trying to figure the water volume it holds to the maximum line which is 9 1/2 inches.it would be

36"l x 13 3/4"w x 9 1/2 h to max line divided by ??? I cant remember...

Divided by 231 I believe, but of course, you gotta figure on the fact that you can't keep it full anyway because of backflow/power outages. I'm guessing here, but maybe figure4 inches or so from the top depending on the size of the return lines and your tank.

yes it's 231 cubic inches in a gallon
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cubic+inches+in+a+gallon&btnG=Google+Search

to determine how much your water level will rise during a power outage is to fill it to the minimum and turn it on and let it run. Mark the water level with a peice of masking tape on the side of the sump. Turn off the pumps and let all the water in the hoses and overflows settle, then measure the new water level from the piece of tape. You need to leave that much space from the top of your tank to your "operating level" in the sump.

austinsdad said:
Divided by 231 I believe, but of course, you gotta figure on the fact that you can't keep it full anyway because of backflow/power outages. I'm guessing here, but maybe figure4 inches or so from the top depending on the size of the return lines and your tank.

Thanks for the number... The hole unit is 36'' long x 13 3/4 wide x 19''high
the 9 1/2 is to the max fill the rest is for backflow for an outage.

Back
Top Bottom