water water everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limemittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys and gals:

I know alot of you most likely have an in house ro system or something of that nature, but for the rest of you, how do you get/make your water for the regular changes? Do you goto LFS and buy, or tap and let it sit around for a while. I am just curious what somw other prople do.

Depends how lazy I am.

If I am in the mood and my wife doesnt care if I take up the sink for half the day I will make the water with my RO unit.

Latley I've been buying pre-made SW for 80cents a gallon from my LFS
The SG is 1.023 so I still need to ad some salt to get it to 1.025.

Sometimes I'll just buy the RO water for 25cents a gallon and mix the salt.

I've got my RO until by a utility tub, so no taking up another sink.

I know people that buy RO, but I also know people that have tested LFS bought RO and ended up with 14-16TDS which makes you wonder how good the water is and how well the machine is maintained.

Buy an RO/DI unit, it'll save you in the long run.

I had been going to the LFS for the 20g of water that I use to do my water changes with until my feeding mishap at Christmas. When that happened I suddenly needed more water much more often than my trips to the LFS or wallet could accomodate. I had 2 30g cans running SW at any given time for 2 weeks sitting in the middle of my dining room. With the crisis over I haven't bothered getting back into the LFS habit. I ordered a bucket of salt online (which surprisingly came out cheaper than my LFS bucket of salt, even with shipping?!) and have been using that to mix with my tap for 24-48+ hrs. My RO/DI is here now and I eagerly await its installation (Just one more part, lol, why is it that plumbing tasks always end up in needing *just one more part*?!). Then we'll use home grown RO/DI to mix the salt with.

I buy mine at the LFS. One day I may make my own, but for now it's
49cents / gal for RO/DI water and 1.25 a gal for salt. I keep extra RO on hand and have a bucket of salt if i need it, but i fill up 10 5 gallon containers each time 5 salt and 5 RO.

Jim

I just use straight tap, Dechlor, mix, let it sit for 30 minutes, and go.

I know I probably shouldn't, but Alas.

Distilled water and using coralife salt for approx 2 day mix. My 28 gal tank only gets a 3 gal change every other week.

Back
Top Bottom