What does macroalgae do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

35galSWfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The guy at the fish store sold me this plant like bunch of green stuff in December (when I bought the CUC), it was supposed to do something good for the tank. It twireled around the tank for a while, my emerald crabs munched it occationally, I am not sure where the rest went over time. However, it's gone, do I need more?

Macro algae consume nitrates and phosphates lowering their levels and hopefully suppressing less desirable algae from growing. Also some macro algae can be used as food for your fish. I grow ulva (sea lettuce) is my fuge and feed it to my tang and rabbit fish.

Do fish stores usually carry different types and which one should I get? Do I need to anker it somehow or just let it drift around?

Many lfs will have different kinds, chaeto is an easy one to take care of, looks like a green ball of spaghetti. I grow ulva which looks like lettuce, there is also caulerpa types that are popular. You could even do mangroves as long as you have the room. Reefcleaners usually has a good selection during the spring and summer and liveaquaria has different types also. Ordering macro algae online is pretty easy and most of them transport very well, just be aware that you may not be able to buy or get certain types delivered depending on which state you live in.

Back
Top Bottom