What to do if your power goes out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have a UPS for short term? A generator will work as well. I would try to cover the tank with towels to keep the temp up for as long as possible. There was something in the DIY section about using a car battery.
I hope all goes well for you!!!

I have many bottles of water in my freezer and when I lose AC during a storm, I plop a couple in every few hours. I also have a generator, I made it through Rita with no losses, no power for a week just by running pumps, no lights. If you do not have access to a small generator, take a big bowl, butter tub size or so, and periodically dip water and pour back in from a foot or so high to help keep aerated.

I have many bottles of water in my freezer and when I lose AC during a storm, I plop a couple in every few hours.
I've done this too....Frozen two-liter soda bottles come in handy during a heat wave up north here, although it's no good really long term or during an extended outage.

There are some decent generators that can be had for the $200-250 range. I got mine for $299 a year or so ago and it is rated at 3500 watts. Last power outage I had, I was able to run my main circulation pump from the basement and my heaters and powerheads. I could have done some lights as well but it ended up only being out for about 6 hours.

I live in Southern California and this summer we have been plagued with blackouts during our recent record heat snaps.

I have a standard UPS unit (APC 650) and I have my canister and my HOB filter plugged in. During one of our extended power outages (6 hours) it ran the pumps fine; the battery was nearly kaput when the power did come on, but it did the trick.

The cost of the unit was under $100 US.

It wouldn't work for extended outages (days), but it was better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom