whats your daily routine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
whats your daily routine? weather it be cleaning or feeding or monitoring water levels....please share on what is it that u do daily??

Last edited by a moderator:
clean glass with magfloat, lightly agitate sand bed with a long piece of pvc pipe, dose with ca and alk. feed and test ca and alk every other day.

No, actually I have a tank with corals, fish, inverts, and what I see as a great LR setup. It does really well, it's usually me messing with it that causes issues. I test, just not daily. I've been working a ton and just not enough time in the day. Can't get accurate tests when a 70 lbs puppy decides its time to play instead and tackles you. I also just recently added a sump, which contains my skimmer, and has done wonders for my tank. My biggest issue was how awful the sump made my water look. Now that it is in the sump, it is crystal clear...enough to see I have a diatom outbreak way to late...

waste matter and nutrients can build up over time, lightly agitating it daily or in sections at a time help to keep this from building up. When its stirred up it enters the water flow and is sucked out with water changes or passes through the skimmer. Its like doing the work of many nassarius snails only difference is the pvc doesnt add more poop to the sandbed and the snails do.

^what he said^

But I do have and enjoy my snails. Mine just have nothing to do with my sand bed, so I will be stirring it up so things look good and make my skimmer do some work for a change.

I top off the sump, mag-float the glass, empty the skimmer cup, check the temp, and feed the fish. I also look around it to make sure all the corals are open.

waste matter and nutrients can build up over time, lightly agitating it daily or in sections at a time help to keep this from building up. When its stirred up it enters the water flow and is sucked out with water changes or passes through the skimmer. Its like doing the work of many nassarius snails only difference is the pvc doesnt add more poop to the sandbed and the snails do.

interesting....i dont really like the look of alot of snails so i will keep this method in mind :D

If you don't like snails...check out margarita snails. When I got my first hitchhiker one I loved it. They get coraline algae on their shells and are black with white stripes. I even had one that was neon orange under his shell. They are def not your ordanary snail and still do a great job of cleaning.

I guess I should add that I also empty my skimmer cup, run my magfloat across the glass...just not daily. I read what i wrote and it sounded like my tank should look like garbage...lol

will do. I dont have anything against snails. I just dont like/want too many of them. their snails pace of movement is uninteresting to me. Crabs of the other had are a total different matter

I mag-float my glass, check the temp, give the corals and livestock a quick once over, and dump some frozen brine or mysis (thats the prework routine)

Post work, give everything a once over, feed again, empty the scum cup. That's really about it at this point. Once or twice a week I also feed the corals that need feeding (right now just an open brain).

Daily: Feed fish
Semi Weekly: Clean Glass, Feed LPS & dose Zeo
Weekly: top up my ATO w/lime, clean skimmer, PWC
Monthly: Change GAC

I feed the fish, check temperature. clean glass. check filter. look to see if I can see any pests, check top off water. make sure all pumps are running right and if I have time do a water test or 2 even if it is for SG. Once a week I change water depending one what the tests show how much I do change, feed any corals like ducan and anemones, blow off rocks with turkey baster and clean the skimmer. Once a month I change filter floss but when I do a water change I rinse it out.

I noticed non of you guys/girls top off ur water everyday....most of you have ATO like MikeYQM?? or you guys cover ur tanks??

I used to top off in the AM and again in the evening, botu a gallon each time, BUT I recently added an ATO so now I just fill the 10g reservoir maybe once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom