Wife authorizes a lighting upgrade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well after reviewing your inhabitant list I think you would be ok wit hthe 4x54 watt system since you are keeping all LPS corals and one GBTA. None of these animals are light heavy in any way, with the GBTA being the most needy light wise and even they are not overly demanding.

that said I think you would open up more options if you purchased teh 8x54 fixture even though it is nearly double in price. I cant think of any reef inverts or corals that would not do well under that type of lighting. Several people in the Marine Aquarium Society I belong too use only T-5 and keep just about eveything.

Well Im nearly sold on the 8x54, I have one last question. Do you think with the inhabitant I have now,do you think it will be detrimental to there health adding double the light? if not, with a slow acclimation over a few weeks then Im going to order... you think a maxima can livs under t-5?

EDIT: Well the deed is done...They will arrive Monday...

I would add the lighting and shorten the lighting cycle for a few weeks and slowly increase it by an hour. Wait until the lighting is on for as long as you want it before you get the clam.

angelscrx said:
I would add the lighting and shorten the lighting cycle for a few weeks and slowly increase it by an hour. Wait until the lighting is on for as long as you want it before you get the clam.

Definitely, Im doubling the light going in so I will shorten the period.
Right nowm the 10,000 are on for twelve hours and the actinics almost fourteen. I figured six and eight for the new lights,does sound good or should it be shorter than that to start...

I think shortening the lighting would help with the acclimation. Double the light can induce "light stress" causing corals to close up, slime, and LPS corals to start having tissue recession. I would have your actinic lights come on 2 hours before your daylight, then run your daylight for 3 hours, and then have the actinic lights run another hour before having the fixture shut off totally.

Then a week later I would have your actinics run for one hour, your daylights run for five hours, then your actinics run another hour before the light goes out.

After a week of that have your actinics run for one hour, your daylights go for 6-7 hours, and your actinics an hour before it goes out.

Finally run your actinics for an hour, daylight kick on for 9 hours, actincs two hours, unit off and that works well as a final light schedule.

As for Maxima clams under T-5's - Ive seen Maxima - Crocea and Dersea clams all thriving under T-5 lighting. For fast growth speeds and ease of care I would recommend a Dersea if this is the first clam you are keeping.

Well the new Nova EXTREME'S 8x54 showed up today...And I have two words. " Holy ****." I will post pics and give my first impressions later when I get the timers set up... 8O Oh and 8)

Back
Top Bottom