Zoas Reacting Under Different Radion Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i decided to see what happens to this zoa polyp as i changed the color of the light.... the rest of the polyps were pretty much open all night so i decided to focus in one this one.

it was taken over the period of just over an hour

same experiment with a prism favia

watch in HD for best results

What colors do you find best? I'm still ramping mine up slowly so don't have the spectrum dialed in yet. I'm @ 75% @ 12k for peak daylight. Not sure I'll go higher.

I think red in that degree is mainly for aesthetic purposes - to allow full RGB control.

I thought it was a pretty cool experiment. And it was interesting to watch. If you ever experiment with more colors, or do the same with other corals, I'd like to see that, too.

Ok, I'd like to see further experiments with this light on different types of corals, if you dig deeper keep us posted

just the 2 so far.... i can only do 2 per weekend because i have to setup before the lights turn on... and i work during the week

funny that Zooxanthellae algae growth is stimulated by a wavelength from 400 to 700 nanometers which are the green and reds in the spectrum. zooxanthellae is a plant organism that lives in the tissues of corals. maybe the red closes the coral but the green and blue open and extent the polyps which allows the lights radiation to stimulate the growth of the zooxanthellae which in turn feeds the the coral and allows it to grow

and remember aquatic life is near blind to the red part of the spectrum, as it is one of the firsty parts of the light wave to get filtered out. so with red light its amost like its dark out so why would a coral need to be open soaking up the rays of light, logically tehre really isn't

Last edited:
funny that Zooxanthellae algae growth is stimulated by a wavelength from 400 to 700 nanometers which are the green and reds in the spectrum. zooxanthellae is a plant organism that lives in the tissues of corals. maybe the red closes the coral but the green and blue open and extent the polyps which allows the lights radiation to stimulate the growth of the zooxanthellae which in turn feeds the the coral and allows it to grow

and remember aquatic life is near blind to the red part of the spectrum, as it is one of the firsty parts of the light wave to get filtered out. so with red light its amost like its dark out so why would a coral need to be open soaking up the rays of light, logically tehre really isn't

exactly. so why are people so crazy about these radions that have more red spectrum?

360º said:
exactly. so why are people so crazy about these radions that have more red spectrum?

I think the hype with the radions is that they are programmable, work along side MP10/40's to create "storms" etc.

The light "looks" good from what I've seen on this forum.

I think more people like the "wow" high tech factor than actually what it is capable of.

Just my opinion though.

I think the hype with the radions is that they are programmable, work along side MP10/40's to create "storms" etc.

The light "looks" good from what I've seen on this forum.

I think more people like the "wow" high tech factor than actually what it is capable of.

Just my opinion though.

i also have the AI sols on my tank. and they're better in my opinion.

id have 2 sols over 1 radion (same price) any day

Back
Top Bottom