75 gallon help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgillmatthew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am in the process of saving for a 75 gallon tank. This is my first larger tank ( my current tanks are 37 and 10 gallon tanks). I want to do an mbuna cichlid tank. So far my list is as follows:
75 gallon (48X18x20)
Aquarium stand might build it so I can stain and seal it to match the furniture.
Glass Lids
Fluval Aquasky 2.0 led light
Aqueon quiet flow 100 air pump and tubing
Hikari 75 gallon sponge filter (2)
Fluval 307 canister filter
Black sand
Lava rocks (10lbs)
Ehiem Jager 300 watt heater (2)

Fish:
Yellow Labs (10)
Pseudotropheus Elongatus Cichlid (10)

Questions:
Is 20 mbunas too many for a 75 when they are full grown?
Also I know I have a lot of filtration on this but the sponge filters are for my main filtration with the canister filter for mechanical filtration because I know cichlids are messy. My question is should I skip the sponge filters and get a larger canister filter or leave it as I have it planned?

Also the spot where I have to place the tank is directly in front of a window and just on the edge of a second window. I am already painting the back and the side that faces the full window with black acrylic paint. What can I do for the lid to help minimize algae blooms due to sun. The window gets constant sun for the whole evening. So like the last 3-5 hours of the day. I don’t have a choice of curtains due to no modification agreement. I have window sheers up now. I would like some advice for minimizing the light exposure. I will see how much light there is once set up and currently am guessing I will set the aquarium light to just turn off for that time period.

Back
Top Bottom