$1 per gallon on at Petco/Buyer beware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I anxiously waited for the $1 per gallon sale in Dec/Jan timeframe to set up my first big planted tank. I had a specific amount of space, so the biggest I could get was the 40 gallon breeder. I spent $40 on the tank, around $200 on a stand, bought a glass top, etc.

Right now, Petsmart has a 56 gallon plus stand and glass top on for 50% off at $149! Plus, the 56 would fit the space I have even better than the 40.

Moral if the story... The $1/ gallon can be great, but it ain't perfect. If your working on your 1st big setup, my opinion is to find a kit like this on sale!

Totally agree. I got a kit like that for my large community tank (which was also my first tank). It is a 60 gallon, came with stand (those suckers can get expensive!), hood, and lights...all for just over $200. The $1/gallon sale is great if you are looking for a specific size and are very particular about each component you add to it, making a kit useless. If the kit has parts that you are happy with, then it can be a real $$$ saver! I am sooo happy I got my 40 breeder from the sale at Petco bc I am going to do something a little more difficult than the normal community tank, so I will be very picky about the equipment I buy. So at least I got a good deal on the tank!

I anxiously waited for the $1 per gallon sale in Dec/Jan timeframe to set up my first big planted tank. I had a specific amount of space, so the biggest I could get was the 40 gallon breeder. I spent $40 on the tank, around $200 on a stand, bought a glass top, etc.

Right now, Petsmart has a 56 gallon plus stand and glass top on for 50% off at $149! Plus, the 56 would fit the space I have even better than the 40.

Moral if the story... The $1/ gallon can be great, but it ain't perfect. If your working on your 1st big setup, my opinion is to find a kit like this on sale!

I got my 56 with stand, lid, and extras on craigslist for $80. There are always better deals to be found somewhere. Still, I am happy the $1/gal sale is here because I need some 40 breeders for fry raising and can get the heaters and filters I need for pretty cheap. Want more 10 gals as well for spawning.

Yall know Petsmart does price matching right? So you can get anything from petsmart like a 40b for 40$

Yall know Petsmart does price matching right? So you can get anything from petsmart like a 40b for 40$

Yeah, but be careful about their price matching. They will only price match in store pricing, not online ads. And even then, if they don't have the store you are trying to match it with in the area, you'll probably be SOL. I don't have a petco in my area, and during Christmas they were having a sale, the 2.5 gallon mini bows for $20. I tried to go to petsmart to get them rather than waiting for them to be shipped, but they refused to match it because I had an online add printed out, and they said even if I proved it was in store as well, they wouldn't do it because there isn't one close by for me to take my business to. So rediculous. Petsmart is an okay place, but I prefer petco all day every day.

Thats some crap from them. I know at my store we will. They have to or you can complain and they will next time. Some petsmart managers are all about making money and nothing else so look into it next time and they will. Tell them your calling the regional manager and they will

I just think it's a bit much to expect a store to price match another store that isn't even local to them. Different markets often have different pricing. I'm not saying your store doesn't do it, I'm just saying I think it's asking a lot to expect a business to do something like that since they are there to make money.

Back
Top Bottom