10G Dwarf Puffer Tank Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really like the jungle look of this tank, and the DPs are starting to explore it a bit. I'm looking forward to watching them grow and show their natural behaviors in this environment. And the little guys are just too cute for words !

Attachments

• dp_tank_12oct06_010_sm_189.jpg
    dp_tank_12oct06_010_sm_189.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 37
  • dp_tank_12oct06_009_sm_148.jpg
    dp_tank_12oct06_009_sm_148.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 77
Thanks ! I tried to make about 6 or 7 territories in there so that they have a choice, but still give them some free swimming room (not too hard to do with a 1" fish ! LOL). I have about 18 stems in that tank - 5 of which are fairly large bunches of hornwort. I generally don't like anacharis, but I've read that DPs do, so it was their comfort over my preference. The rest of the plants are wisteria, which I've always liked. The DPs also seem to like peeking out of the ends of the three caves I put in there.
I really enjoyed tailoring the tank to their needs; in the 29G I did the plants more for my visual enjoyment rather than for the occupants (not that they're not happy also) - it was nice doing it the "right way" this time.

Nice looking tnak. I miss my DPs now :(

Anacharis leaves are the perfect size for them to rest on as well I find. Some of mine seemed ot like it there. Just beware, they are a bit finicky.

Do you have another snail-safe tank? I would recommend getting a large pond snail population up quickly..not only are they good for DPS...but it is funny as crap to watch the DP crab the snail by the foot and start shaking ALL OVER theplace tryin to get it out of the shell :p After that display you wonder why the DP isnt swimmin in circles from being so dizzy.

What a great set up - thanks for posting those photos. I can't believe you got a decent shot of one of the puffers! Be sure to keep us posted on how they're doing. :D

I stopped removing the pond snails from the 29G once I started planning to get DPs. I generally pick out about 8 each day, so I'm sure I'll have a nice supply for the little guys. I threw a few in yesterday but so far no takers; I'll mash a couple against the glass today to try and help them understand the concept that these are food.
If I run out I know I can always get some from Petsmart - their tanks are always infested with them and since I'm there about 3x a week all the employees know me well LOL
Jarred - I can't wait to see what you've described - sounds amazing. I'm loving the fact that those pond snails have gone from pests to useful !

Yeah smashing the snail can help with getting them intersted, after htat, tehy can take care of themselves, or should :p

I got many pond snails from petco for my DPs...I lost all my snail population when I moved.

When I was doing water changes, I would actually take the filters from my other tnaks and place them in the DPs tank so tehy could feast out on the dozens of baby pond snails on the filters from other tanks

one tried to eat a ramshorn (on his own - no smashing). One nibbled at a smashed pond snail. Today I'm giving them bloodworms.
Has anyone ever tried feeding peas to help their digestion (like we do for our other fish) ?

Back
Top Bottom