10g High Tech Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astreck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
First post here, wondering if I could pick your guys brains.
I am starting my second tank (quickly becoming an addiction) and I had a few questions in regards to stocking.
My first tank is a 75 gallon planted, and its doing fantastic. Now I decided to do a high-tech 10 gallon with high light plants. My flora is microsword, java fern, red tiger, and HC. I'm going to stock celestial pearl danios. I also want to add about 4 red cherry shrimp and 2 otos.

I have a few questions:
1. I have heard Otos need larger spaces, but they do such a good job on my 75 gallon that I couldn't imagine having a tank without them. They clean my glass and my plants so well. Has anyone had success keeping them in smaller tanks?
2. If I go ahead with my plan of 2 otos and 4 RCS, how many celestial pearl danios could I keep? I was thinking 6, but if I could safely keep 8-10 I would be a very happy man . I have access to them with no problem through my LFS who will order anything I want.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you!

You should do fine with 8 CPDs in a well planted 10 gallon. I have four otos and five glowlights plus a DG in a planted low tech 10 gallon and everyone is thriving. Water params have always stayed in check with no problems provided I keep up with my water changes, which is 30% every three days.

10 CPDs in a heavily planted 10g would be fine IMO, with room to spare. I had 11 clown killies, 2 otos, and a colony of 50~ RCS in my very heavily planted 10g and never had a problem with parameters (did 50% once every 7-10 days). Be careful with the red tiger lotus in a 10g as they can take over and shade other plants very quickly. For the java fern I'd recommend a smaller leaf variety like narrow leaf, thread leaf, Philippine, etc (sorry I know you didn't as for plant advice but couldn't resist). :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom