10g Stocking for Elementary Classroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! How many would you recommend in a 10 gallon? And where did you get yours? I don't think I have seen them before...

I would say you could start with 5, and the numbers should grow. Of course they're cichlids so be prepared for cichlid-problems. I had mine shipped in from a breeder in Michigan through a seller called Cunningham Cichlids. You might be able to find them locally; Maine's fishkeeping laws are psychotically restrictive so I had to go out of my way to get them.

And actually, I'm gonna go count my colony. I might have some to send you, because marine science education (y)

I would say you could start with 5, and the numbers should grow. Of course they're cichlids so be prepared for cichlid-problems. I had mine shipped in from a breeder in Michigan through a seller called Cunningham Cichlids. You might be able to find them locally; Maine's fishkeeping laws are psychotically restrictive so I had to go out of my way to get them.

And actually, I'm gonna go count my colony. I might have some to send you, because marine science education (y)

I read the list once of restricted fish. I was very surprised at the fish on it due to the winters you have there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read the list once of restricted fish. I was very surprised at the fish on it due to the winters you have there.

It's not a list of restricted fish, it's a list of unrestricted fish. Multies aren't on it. Neither are most loaches. It's mind-bogglingly stupid since some of the approved fish, like goldfish, are an actual invasive threat in this state while tons of fish off the list aren't

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not a list of restricted fish, it's a list of unrestricted fish. Multies aren't on it. Neither are most loaches. It's mind-bogglingly stupid since some of the approved fish, like goldfish, are an actual invasive threat in this state while tons of fish off the list aren't

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is really ignorant. The town pond by me has become totally over run with goldfish. There are hundreds and it's deep so they survive winters. Someone was the sanctioned gold fish catcher before they stocked bass and bluegill. Needless to say that didn't work at all .

Ok, just my .02 as a mom of 5: I personally wouldn't do multies or any other shellies. Second graders are around 7 years old...kids that age generally want colorful and active.

If it was me-and I stocked tanks specificially for my kids years ago-I'd do guppies and small cories, habrosus or pygmaeus. Kuhlis were mentioned and while they're my favorite fish I'd put something less shy as a bottom feeder in a tank for children.

I second her ^^ I am a kid myself. Not 7, but twice that. We have short attention spands, you have to make us want to look at it for more then a few seconds. If you want to make us look at it for more then a few seconds, then get some colorful, flashy fish. Ones that are out in the open all the time, not huddles in the corner.

Ok, just my .02 as a mom of 5: I personally wouldn't do multies or any other shellies. Second graders are around 7 years old...kids that age generally want colorful and active.

If it was me-and I stocked tanks specificially for my kids years ago-I'd do guppies and small cories, habrosus or pygmaeus. Kuhlis were mentioned and while they're my favorite fish I'd put something less shy as a bottom feeder in a tank for children.

+1. As a mother of 3 kids, one being in the 2nd grade, you need color and action. You also need colorful decor. I helped my own 2nd grader put a 10g together almost a year ago. I let him pick out the fish and decorations. You can bet Sponge Bob and his ridiculous pineapple are part of the decor. You have to be ok with that. I'd say colorful guppies, or a betta.
Edit: My son chose a figure 8 puffer, which would also be a good choice for a classroom, IMO. My son's puffer comes up to the glass as soon as we look in the tank. He loves interaction, which the kids will be looking for when they look in the tank. Another option they would love is glow fish. I don't like them, but kids love them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1. As a mother of 3 kids, one being in the 2nd grade, you need color and action. You also need colorful decor. I helped my own 2nd grader put a 10g together almost a year ago. I let him pick out the fish and decorations. You can bet Sponge Bob and his ridiculous pineapple are part of the decor. You have to be ok with that. I'd say colorful guppies, or a betta.

This is a 10g my 3 girls put together at their dad's house, if you've seen any of my tanks you'd know this is so not me :rolleyes:

img_3282296_0_2e94545a9278d306d26dc55c522d1490.jpg

For a classroom though I'd probably go natural colored with substrate and live plants if possible. After my last post I was thinking a nerite snail would also be a good addtion and maybe a few shrimp depending on fish stock.

This is a 10g my 3 girls put together at their dad's house, if you've seen any of my tanks you'd know this is so not me :rolleyes:

img_3282297_0_2e94545a9278d306d26dc55c522d1490.jpg

For a classroom though I'd probably go natural colored with substrate and live plants if possible. After my last post I was thinking a nerite snail would also be a good addtion and maybe a few shrimp depending on fish stock.

Yep. Gotta love the gravel. Lol

I like the shrimp idea. Pretty active and colorful.

I think the important thing to remember here is this is a classroom tank. It's not at a home where it can be constantly monitored, tested, and water changed.

I'd do a fairly hardy species so kids don't come in one morning to a little "accident" from a sensitive fish.

Just IMO.

Caleb

I think the important thing to remember here is this is a classroom tank. It's not at a home where it can be constantly monitored, tested, and water changed.

I'd do a fairly hardy species so kids don't come in one morning to a little "accident" from a sensitive fish.

Just IMO.

Caleb

True. Could do glow danios. The hardiness of a danio, the colors kids love.

Why not a pair of gold occies? They are pretty colorful, especially the male's breeding colors.

Sent via echolocation

Platties, swords,guppies, here is some mixed platties...[emoji1] in my new community tank
uploadfromtaptalk1442463442535.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1442463283709.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442463314993.jpg

Back
Top Bottom