2.5 Gal Heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2oskierc

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my son comes home from a trip to the store with Grandpa and brought home a 2.5 gallon mini bow aquarium and a betta. The kit has a small filter, but no heater.

I am wondering if there is a small heater that anybody could recommend for a tank that small. I have read mixed opinions on whether or not a betta needs a heater, but I would like the fish to thrive, not simply survive...

Thankfully, they didn't just do the whole cup/bowl thing, as that makes me crazy.

I used Tetra heaters in my 2.5 gallon tanks and they work marvelously. Although they're faulty in larger sizes, if you get the one for 2-5 gallons it'll keep the temperature stable at 80 F.

Yes there are some very small ones that will work. Check your local shops.

I would use a heater in a tank that small if for nothing else than to help keep the temperature as stable as possible. Two and a half gallons will lose heat pretty quickly.

Thanks to both of you. I ordered one from Amazon and will have it shortly. Right now the tank is stable at room temperature (72 in my house right now) and she seems to be doing well. I will do some investigating and determine what the optimal temperature is for her and get the tank to that point.

If you went with Tetra, it will automatically heat the tank to 78-80. Unfortunately, you can't set a specific temperature but 78-80 is perfect for bettas so it doesn't really matter. Just make sure it doesn't rise too quickly once you put the heater in.

If you went with Tetra, it will automatically heat the tank to 78-80. Unfortunately, you can't set a specific temperature but 78-80 is perfect for bettas so it doesn't really matter. Just make sure it doesn't rise too quickly once you put the heater in.

I actually found a Hagen Elite Mini Submersible 10 on Amazon for about $12, and it is adjustable just like the one in my big tank, so I will get it set to that 78-80 degree range...

Thank again for your help!

Back
Top Bottom