20g Freshwater, Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I couple months back I bought my daughter a 20g freshwater tank, It has a bio-wheel filter on it.

At first, when the tank was cycling, it would get cloudy, I would change 5 gal of water, and it was crystal clear.

Now it's cloudy, I change 5 gal of water, and it's still cloudy.

I've changed 5 gal 1 day, and 2 days later changed another 5 gal and it STILL cloudy..

At this point I'm not sure what else to do?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Can you post your ammonia/nitrite/and nitrate numbers? Also what is your PH?

When you do a WC does the water cloud back up? If so this indicates a bacterial bloom. Once you post the info above it will help in determining why this is happening.

One method of clearing a bacterial bloom is by adding a UV sterilizer onto the tank. It kills the free floating bacteria that is causing the bloom, hence clearing the water. Alot of the people have had good results with this... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO

Is it still cycling? Do you have carbon in your filter?

The tank has been running since February, shouldn't it be cycled by now?

Yes the biowheel filter has a carbon/sponge filter, which I have been changing once a week as it get's completely clogged.

When you do a WC does the water cloud back up? If so this indicates a bacterial bloom. Once you post the info above it will help in determining why this is happening.

One method of clearing a bacterial bloom is by adding a UV sterilizer onto the tank. It kills the free floating bacteria that is causing the bloom, hence clearing the water. Alot of the people have had good results with this... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO

It doesn't ever get clear anymore. Even immediately after the water change, it's cloudy.

I have not done a water test, I figured doing a water change as often as I have been, there couldn't possibly be any built up nitrates/nitrites/Ammonia..

I have a UV Sterilizer on my 90gal reef system, but I was really hoping not to have to get that involved in my daughters little 20g freshwater tank, that's why I went with freshwater vs saltwater.. But if I have no other options, I may end up doing that.

I have no doubt that my daughter is over feeding, thus the reason the filter cartridge is clogging up soo fast. I am working on teaching her how to properly feed and not over feed.

Thanks,

-TheChad

I'm in the same boat(ish) with my 50 gallon. I thought at first I must not have rinsed my sand well enough, but have vacuumed and done many water changes totaling probably 500%+ over the past month, my cycle had finished according to reading, and the fish are doing great (apisto cich mix). API is .10 ammonia, 0 nitrites/nitrates today after a 50%
water change this am.

Was really hoping someone had/knows of an article they can point to that explains all about Bacterial blooms, as I think this is what has happeded to me vs a substrate rinse problem. (IE, theres no sand in filters, just my bacteria colonies)

Edit:
Never mind.... Wife was trying to be helpful and "cleaned out my filter with soap and hot water", rinsed... and let dry.... so my bloom is the start of a new cycle...fish in, wish me luck!

I don't doubt that a UV sterilizer would work, but would you honestly WANT to use one during a bacterial bloom? All you would be doing is killing heterotrophic bacteria, which are very helpful - just currently "filling in" for the lack of autotrophic bacteria. I really see no benefit other than taking away an eyesore that would go away on its own in a few days. That sterilizer IS good at tackling algae blooms, though :)

Edit:
Never mind.... Wife was trying to be helpful and "cleaned out my filter with soap and hot water", rinsed... and let dry.... so my bloom is the start of a new cycle...fish in, wish me luck!

Ouch. Sounds like my mum who used to go a step further and totally break down the whole tank every few weeks for a thorough wash, clean all the gravel in the sink, put it all back and somehow the fish were fine... Until she dropped the tank. Hope your fish are ok!

Thanks!
Their all fine thank god, and lucky I'm able to have the time to stay on top of testing/water changes.
Stole some media from my daughters (my old) tank to hopefully give things a boost

I don't doubt that a UV sterilizer would work, but would you honestly WANT to use one during a bacterial bloom? All you would be doing is killing heterotrophic bacteria, which are very helpful - just currently "filling in" for the lack of autotrophic bacteria. I really see no benefit other than taking away an eyesore that would go away on its own in a few days. That sterilizer IS good at tackling algae blooms, though :)

Actually there are bacterial blooms that for unknown reasons don't just go away on their own in a few hours or days. UV's are often the only way to rid a tank of this problem. And they work very well since the heterotrophic bacteria is free floating in the water. The OP said cloudy for 2 months and the best way to deal with that is a UV.

Back
Top Bottom