29 Gallon Apistogramma Tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquageek59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All-
I'm presently cycling a 29 gallon planted tank. So far I have a 1 male kribensis, a sail fin molly and a dwarf neon blue gourami. I've added a variety of plants ie: crypts,java fern, micro sword, etc. So while waiting for the weeks of cycling to complete I'm trying to decide what fish I eventually want to add. Unfortunately a 29 gallon really limits my selection. I really like the apistogrammas, I think they have some personality for a small fish.
So my question is. Do they need to be paired( i'm not interested in breeding).
If not can I have 3 or 4 different species in this size tank.?
Am I approaching this wrong? Please any advice would be much appreciated.

Aquageek59

You are headed for a death match. You already have two aggressive fish in a tank together. Gouramis and cichlids will fight to the death. They may not now as juveniles, but as they get older they will fight. Adding another type of cichlid in a small space is only asking for even more carnage. Trust me, I had a GBR and a Dwarf Gourami in my tank when I first started, and the first few months, fine. Then it got really bad. Just a heads up, especially when those fish you have really need a slightly larger tank. Smaller tank will only agitate your cichlids even more.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but from experience, I would rather have you know this now, than you see your fish literally ripping each other apart.

You are headed for a death match. You already have two aggressive fish in a tank together. Gouramis and cichlids will fight to the death. They may not now as juveniles, but as they get older they will fight. Adding another type of cichlid in a small space is only asking for even more carnage. Trust me, I had a GBR and a Dwarf Gourami in my tank when I first started, and the first few months, fine. Then it got really bad. Just a heads up, especially when those fish you have really need a slightly larger tank. Smaller tank will only agitate your cichlids even more.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but from experience, I would rather have you know this now, than you see your fish literally ripping each other apart.
+1 fish Fight Club!

Thanks abw0004. I haven't been in the hobby for years but back in the eighties I had a 30 gallon african cichlid tank. I know too small. They didn't maul each other because the aggression was spread out due to overstocking the tank.They did however rearrange the tank on a daily basis.
I didn't think it would be a problem selecting community fish for this tank when I decided to get back in but I can't seem to find the perfect fit. I'm looking for something interesting that will leave each other alone for the most part.
I thought dwarf gouramis were fairly docile :ermm:

Thanks abw0004. I haven't been in the hobby for years but back in the eighties I had a 30 gallon african cichlid tank. I know too small. They didn't maul each other because the aggression was spread out due to overstocking the tank.They did however rearrange the tank on a daily basis.
I didn't think it would be a problem selecting community fish for this tank when I decided to get back in but I can't seem to find the perfect fit. I'm looking for something interesting that will leave each other alone for the most part.
I thought dwarf gouramis were fairly docile :ermm:

No problem! There is a difference between putting a species specific tank together and two different species. Cichlid tanks are very common, just like discus tanks. African Cichlid tanks you see. Gouramis and Cichlids are who different fish however. Dwarf Gouramis, in particular Honey and Pearl Gouramis, are more peaceful yes. Dwarf Gouramis will snap. Especially if any fish have flowing tails. What you will need to determine is if you want a community tank, or aggressive. Semi-agressive and peaceful sometimes can work. But what you want is asking for trouble.

Look at it this way, both of those fish want to be the alpha male. Only one will win. Put them in a small box, smaller than they can live in already, you can imagine the results.

Back
Top Bottom