29 gallon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agerv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just finished cycling my 29 gallon tank and added 5 leopard danios today. i was wondering if anyone had ideas about attractive or interesting fish that would be compatible. i also read that fish shpuld be added gradually since i added the danios today how long should i wait?

What are your water parameters? If the tank is truly cycled, you can add some more fish in a couple of days. Just monitor the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and make sure that the ammonia and nitrite stay at 0.

There are a lot of options to go with danios. Most tetras would work well if added in a sufficiently sized group. Do you have any idea on where you want to go with the tank? Specific kinds of fish, or colors of fish, etc? That will help people narrow down some choices for you.

i thought my tank was cycled but i guess i had false reading, i still have .25 ppm ammonia. are my fish gunna die? and i want some type of bottom dweller, whether it be a pleco or loach or eel or something, i would also like colorful mid to top dwellers.

You will be fine. Just test it again tomorrow. If it goes above 0.25ppm ammonia, do a 50% water change.

Some cories could work for the bottom. Endler's live bearers are cool looking color fish. There are always the good ol' neons a/o cardinals, which I think are some of the more attractive community fish.

ok thank you but i would prefer something larger since the danios are small and notorious for slow growth, any eels that would fit in a 29 gallon?

No, not that I know of with eels.

Dwarf gouramis might be ok, though danios are pretty active fish, so they might spook gouramis unless this is a lot of cover in the tank.

You could put a zebra loach or 2 in the tank. They are bigger. Hatchets or black skirts could work, and they are a little bigger. Harlequin Rasboras could work. bleeding heart, red eye, and serpae tetras are all a bit larger, and could work as well.

No eels that I can think of... Maybe some khuli loaches at the bottom? They look a bit like eels and stay smaller... Maybe 3?

thank so much you have been a huge help :)

yea i was looking at kuhli loaches but i didnt kno how many i could fit, how long do they get?

I don't think I would keep any loaches in a 10 gal tank. Even liveaquaria recommends 50+ gals for almost all loaches they sell, and they are in the business of selling fish. Botia Stratia I would (and have) kept in a 29, but most other common ones need a larger tank that that imo. Loaches are incredibly active fish.

fort384 said:
I don't think I would keep any loaches in a 10 gal tank. Even liveaquaria recommends 50+ gals for almost all loaches they sell, and they are in the business of selling fish. Botia Stratia I would (and have) kept in a 29, but most other common ones need a larger tank that that imo. Loaches are incredibly active fish.

Well then, I'll take your word for it. :) I learned something new today!

I think you'll find people who would keep them in a 10, but I wouldn't. Just my opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom