29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, found a great looking piece of driftwood this weekend at the beach. Will post pics tonight and let y'all pick which one(s) you guys like best.

Just noticed this thread Homedog. I like your mix of fish. Several quick movers and some semi-aggressives. Due to the nature of the fish involved there should be no problems though.

Like to see how the plants are going to turn out as well. I'm looking to start a planted tanks after many years of avoiding them altogether. I've too many beautiful on the net recently and now I have plant envy.

This must be the tank that the driftwood in the other thread is going into. Can't wait to see how this goes. 'Subscribed'

Really? That's perfect! Also... Does anyone have a good fixture they use for growing anubias nana? I really don't want to do DIY (all the #'s make my eyes cross) so I just need a good link to a specific fixture. Sorry for all the questions...

Anubias nana will grow with ambient room lighting IME (slowly, but it does grow). A regular old T8 strip light will grow it in a 29.

*edit* Also agree with the Aquaclear 70 on your tank. The fish you want like flow. You won't need to dial it back at all IMO. It's a great filter and the lack of proprietary cartridges makes it my top pick for HOB filters. JMO. :)

severum mama said:
Anubias nana will grow with ambient room lighting IME (slowly, but it does grow). A regular old T8 strip light will grow it in a 29.

*edit* Also agree with the Aquaclear 70 on your tank. The fish you want like flow. You won't need to dial it back at all IMO. It's a great filter and the lack of proprietary cartridges makes it my top pick for HOB filters. JMO. :)

Really??? All That's great! Thanks so much!

I have another question. What should all these guys eat? I'm gonna go with frozen bloodworms once a week, and fast Sunday, but what about in-between? How many different types of food am I going to need?

A decent flake food will work, as long as you supplement it with some frozen, freeze-dried, or live foods. For bottom feeders be sure to supplement with some sinking foods as well. What you are doing is OK, but I would also supplement with some freeze-dried food at least twice a week.

I'm concerned about the freeze-dried, as it often causes bloating. How about frozen bloodworms twice a week, algae wafers every other day (pleco) and tetramin flakes? Then fast on Sunday.

That sounds like a good plan to go with. It should keep everyone happy. I would add some brine shrimp in occasionally as well. They have no real nutritional value, but fish love the taste of them and they act as a laxative which helps keep your fish from getting constipated.

May I suggest NLS community. I really like how my fishes looks so much more colorful. I swear my neons are so bright it's crazy. I also like The fact that you don't have to feed that much because it's a complete rich diet.

Got mines at Petco. They have different kinds too. I will personally try the Thera-A formula when I finish the community blend I have.

Ok... The results from the driftwood thread are in... These are the winners, and this is the design I'd like to put them in once treated.

Attachments

• image-4255537898.jpg
    image-4255537898.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image-668053892.jpg
    image-668053892.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3666407832.jpg
    image-3666407832.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 97
Ok... My next question... Gravel. I'm looking at two bags of river rocks at the moment. One 25 pound bag of pea sized river rocks from petsmart, and one 25 pound bag of medium sized river rocks also from petsmart. Both are 14 dollars. I'd like to have a good three to 3.5 inches of gravel in there... Because I think that's what your supposed to have for plants? I'm going to just use root tabs to supplement nutrients, as the 16 dollar ten pound bag of Eco complete just doesn't appeal to me. Do you think I'm buying too much gravel? Not enough? Help?

Excited! Today, I was poking around petco, and discovered they added a frozen foods section! Not purchased yet... But when the time comes... Frozen Bloodworms for everyone! (still need help on the gravel though...)

Ok... My next question... Gravel. I'm looking at two bags of river rocks at the moment. One 25 pound bag of pea sized river rocks from petsmart, and one 25 pound bag of medium sized river rocks also from petsmart. Both are 14 dollars. I'd like to have a good three to 3.5 inches of gravel in there... Because I think that's what your supposed to have for plants? I'm going to just use root tabs to supplement nutrients, as the 16 dollar ten pound bag of Eco complete just doesn't appeal to me. Do you think I'm buying too much gravel? Not enough? Help?
Just go to lowes or home depot and get the same stuff for like $5

Back
Top Bottom