3.2 WPG enough for tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medge00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm working on my 30 gallon tall tank.

I replanted it a few weeks ago, and while nothing appears to be dying or wilting (save a wee bit of yellowness on one onion plant (C thaianum i believe)), its really not growing all that fast. its a tall tank, 96 watts at 6,700 k. I've got flora base for the substrate, I dose flourish and flourish iron once a week. I have two hagens running on the tank. plant life include: watersprite, new hygro cuttings, two large crypts, assorted val, jungle val, penny wort

So what do you all think? add more light? I don't think its deprived of ferts or anything. I don't want to add more because I've mostly avoided algae since replanting and plan to keep it that way. things just don't seem to be bursting with growth yet. After I replanted with flora base on my ten gallon it turned into a jungle. I'm looking for similar results.

TIA

Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates? If so what are the readings? Don't think, do. Test for nutrients and add them as needed. How many weeks is a few weeks? At 3 wpg your plants need nutrients and Flourish and Flourish iron once a week isn't going to cut it.

Doesn't sound like you have any CO2 system on your tank... is that right? With higher light, plants can metabolize and produce CO2 and O2 faster. If you've got 3.2 wpg, they probably need more CO2. If the water is CO2 deficient, but highly lighted, you may see the plants start to bend and lose rigidity. I had that problem briefly while I was waiting for my CO2 tank to arrive!

If this is the case... Rex recommended a wonderful set-up to me (relatively $$$, but cheap for this *type* of set-up). The Milwaukee All-In -One regulator (solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve, dual gauges), CO2 tank, tubing and a reactor. At the cheapest this would run you $170. At its most expensive, $300. Shop around the net and ebay. I got my regulator (a JBJ) for $90 shipped, and my CO2 tank for $50 shipped--both on ebay. I'm using a simple reactor and good neoprene tubing that came with the small CO2 system (Hagen) I used to have on my 10 Gallon. I had to pay $17 to fill the CO2 tank.

Just thought I'd mention it so you know. Sorry if you *do* have a CO2 system and thought that this fact was implicit in your post. :roll:

I have two hagens running on the tank.
I think these must be the Hagen CO2 system for DIY with yeast and sugar, but correct me if I am wrong, medge00. If you know your pH and your KH then you know how much CO2 you have in there, and whether or not you are actually getting all you can from those bubbles riding up the ladder. I used those kits and ran the bubbles through my canister filter, with much better utilization of CO2. Rex is right, though, you need to test all of these parameters to understand what is going on. Read his FAQ, if you have not already, as that will explain a lot about what we are discussing.

my kH reads at 4, my ph is usually 7.0, sometimes 7.1... meaning my CO2 is usually around 12 or 10. I know the hagens aren't great for bigger tanks like mine, but I don't have the $170 to buy a CO2 set up. In fact I barely have enough money for the test kits, which I MAY be able to buy on the 1st when I get paid. Maybe. we'll see. (full time college kid + lousy job + art supplies (i'm an art student) = poor) I have read Rex's faq, many times in fact.... the CO2 i know is going to inhibit growth for a while. I was really just wondering if the WPG were ok for a tall tank. when I replanted my 10 gallon, the plants pretty much exploded. I trim them every week. I'll invest in those test kits and the ferts rex recommends as soon as I can. thanks for everyone's input

If you have a canister filter keep your current CO2 and run the tubing into the intake tube, just a little way (so you can still see if bubbles are coming out) and you will be surprised at how much more CO2 you will get without spending any more money.

Your wpg is probably fine, and if you don't want to spend any $$ then you can make the most of it. When I had a tall tank I scaped it with terraces so some of the plants were up higher and closer to the light.

Ah. So sorry! I missed that. I thought you were referring to Fluvals or Aquaclears (both from Hagen) when you said "two Hagens." Mea culpa!

Back
Top Bottom