35gal stocking list.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadmanwalking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all! Here is my stocking list for a 35 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium: 4 Angelfish, 6 Swordtails, 1 Red Tailed Black Shark, 1 Red Rainbow, 1 Turquoise Rainbow, 1 Black Ghost Knife Fish, 1 African Butterfly Fish, 4 Glass Catfish, 2 Kissing Gourami's and 2 Yellow Rainbows. I know that this tank is seriously overstocked, but presuming I get all of these fish when they are relatively small, how long do you think it would take for this tank to start getting crowded and not looking nice?

Honestly as soon as you put them all in. Even small, their bio-load would be too high and with such a small tank aggression due to overcrowding would cause all kinds of problems. You truely would do the fish a serious injustice borderling on cruelity if you do this.

I agree, the tank would be overstocked and crowded. The fish will grow and become aggressive and could go through stunting. I'd re-adjust stocking. Pretty much all of the fish you listed get too large for a 35 with the exception of perhaps ONE angel and the swordtails.

Slight Change:
2 Angelfish, 3 Swordtails, 1 Red Tailed Black Shark, 3 Rainbows, 1 Black Ghost Knife Fish, 1 African Butterfly Fish, 4 Glass Catfish and 2 Kissing Gourami's.

Would this make any difference? :)

From this list you could do 2 angels, 3 swords, and 4 glass cats which should be 6 glass cats as they are very shy fish and do best in groups of 6 or more.

Sharks, kissing gouramis, and BG knifes are all too large and aggressive for this size tank and with the above tankmates. An African butterfly might work tho.

I wouldn't even do two angels in that size tank. If you end up with a breeding pair, they could get aggressive, fast, in that small of a space.

Since your stock list seems as though you have have no information on these fish I will recommend that you go to aqadvisor.com and see what that tells you about your stock, then come back and tell us what it says and what you would change. The shark and rainbow need much bigger tanks and the black ghost needs 100+ gallons

Thanks guys! I did go to aqaadvisor site and they said that the aquarium was overstocked, but that all of these fish were compatible together. And about the BGK, there seems to be some sort of rumor going around to be honest that they can get up to 20 inches in size, but in captivity, they generally only go to a maximum of 10 inches, from what I have read.

"which should be 6 glass cats as they are very shy fish and do best in groups of 6 or more."

Oh, I never heard about that actually. I'll have to think about that then.

Bgks are very long rigid fish, if most bgks don't get past 10" in captivity it's probably because they're not cared for properly. All it takes is a YouTube search to see some gigantic bgks, not recomended for a small tank at all, I wouldn't even put on in a 55 gallon

I wouldn't even do two angels in that size tank. If you end up with a breeding pair, they could get aggressive, fast, in that small of a space.

I don't have an issue with 2 angels in this size tank even if they do pair/spawn. If there is adequate plantings, whether live or fake, the spawning pair will keep other fish in the tank out of their spawning site. This usually consists of one parent chasing the other fish off with a quick rush at them and then they immediately return to the eggs/fry. Plus most of the time in community tanks the eggs rarely even make it to the wiggler stage much less fry stage. The spawning aggression is usually over in a couple days max unless it's one of the rare times a pair will actually see spawning through to the fry stage. Which I have yet to see in over 30+ years of me keeping angels in community tanks. Right now I have 12 angels, 6 breeding pairs, in a 220g community tank and in a year not one pair has even gotten to the wiggler stage.

Back
Top Bottom