5 gal ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinkerbell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know a lot of people are against small tanks.

After years of the 20, 15, 5, and mutiple 10 gallons. We finally broke down and got a 55gal over the summer and have a nice FW community. Although I miss the small tanks in a way. And I boought a little something for my room.

I got a MiniBow 5 gallon, but hated the whole "inside filter". So I got the 5-15 gallon Whisper filter to hang on the back.

I've seen people dissucssing really not needing air pumps. With my filteration, should I have one? I have tons extra laying around if I do.

I have a rather warm room and I keep the light on when I'm home. It seems the water never drops below 74*F, is this fine? Or should I get a small heater?

And what do I stock it with? I really want some Neon Tetras, as they never has long in our 55gal with the big fish. I was thinking 3 or 4 and maybe 2 Kuhli Loaches?

Welsome to AA, tinkerbell. :multi: :multi: :onfire: :onfire: :multi: :multi: :onfire: :onfire:

I don't think most people here are against small tanks per se...it's just that it's much harder to maintain stable water parameters in them. In fact, some members here are drawn to planted nano tanks for the extra challenge.

Anyway, I don't think you need an airstone if you are running any kind of HOB, unless you want one for the bubbly effect. So long as the water surface is constantlly moving, you should have good gas exchange.

The other challenge with small tanks is keeping the temp stable. 74o is a bit on the low side for most tropicals - check the temp after midnight - if the temp is below 74, you definitely should have a heater. I've seen 7 W heaters for sale at Big Al's.

As far as stocking, neon tetras are a logical choice - cardinals and black neons are other small tetras that would work too. I've never kept loaches, but I believe that kuhlis stay small. Don't they need snails in their diet though?

The 4 neons and 2 kuhlis should be fine. If you wanted you could put in an air pump for some extra circulation but you don't need to. I know some people like to have them because the bubbles look cool. They also prevent any dead spots but that shouldn't be a problem with that filter.

There are heaters for 5 gallon tanks so you could buy one and stick it in there. Like QTOFFER said the main challenge is keeping the water temp stable in such a small tank, but mine only fluctuates about a max of 2-3 degrees from day and night.

A dwarf puffer would be fun, but that would be just about it for stocking since puffers are too aggressive to mix, typically. Puffers are very entertaining.

i had 4 goldfish in that tank now i am going to return 3 and get some else

furiousgtz, you really need to return all four goldfish. A 6-gallon is too small for even one goldfish. Also, goldfish are cool-water fish, while your other choices for the tank are tropicals that need water at 78 to 80 degrees. They won't mix.

Back
Top Bottom