55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm picking up a 55gallon on Tuesday. Trying to decide how to stock it after its cycled and ready. Id really like 2 clown loaches and a Black Ghost Knifefish. Would this be overkill? What else would be good with the loaches if I didnt get a BGK?

Clown loaches need a 90 gallon minimum and so does the black ghost. And the clown loaches are very social so they like larger groups.

Clown loaches need a 90 gallon minimum and so does the black ghost. And the clown loaches are very social so they like larger groups.

I figured the BGK would need bigger but everything I've read says the Clown Loaches will do fine in anything 40 Gallons and larger.

I figured the BGK would need bigger but everything I've read says the Clown Loaches will do fine in anything 40 Gallons and larger.

Not sure what you're reading? lol Actually 125+ gals is recommended for an adult group of these, not taking into consideration other fish in the tank. Have you seen how big they can get?

Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus) — Loaches Online
My Clown Loach Aquarium — Loaches Online
Clown loach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

plus, clown loaches are easily succeptable to ich. theres many options you have, but i agree with chronos, they need 90 gallons or more, especially for 2. im not so sure about the BGK because ive never really studied them.

Lol, alright. I have no idea what to stock in this tank. Its going to be a while before stocking time though. It has wood grain trim that I want to paint black and I want to paint the stand black as well. Plus I need to buy a filter (or 2) for it and heaters. Its a project.
I want colorful fish. I want to stay away from cichlids and anything to aggressive. My kids arent impressed with smaller fish so I'm looking for larger fish, preferably one that arent timid or hide all the time. My 4 year old saw some 8in clown loaches at the local fish store and has been asking for them since, lol.

I suppose this would be too small for a koi tank?

Not all cichlids are stereotypically aggressive, I have discus and they're pretty calm. And I have angels too, they're both in my community tank.

Not all cichlids are stereotypically aggressive, I have discus and they're pretty calm. And I have angels too, they're both in my community tank.

I didnt realize that Discuss and Angels were cichlids. I really like Discuss but I hear they are harder to care for.

Nooooo no way. Mines 84 degrees.

Hmmm, I might have to look into them. What other fish are good tank mates with them and how my Discuss could I have in a 55? Thanks for the relplies :)

Well people always seem to keep rummynose tetras with them. But I have black skirt tetras and bleeding hearts. I don't like them that much tho, I would recommend maybe a large school of neons maybe? I'm not good with stocking. I'd say in a 55 you would be ok with 4 or 5 that's just my opinion. I have 7 plus other fish and my tank is overstocked.

Well people always seem to keep rummynose tetras with them. But I have black skirt tetras and bleeding hearts. I don't like them that much tho, I would recommend maybe a large school of neons maybe? I'm not good with stocking. I'd say in a 55 you would be ok with 4 or 5 that's just my opinion. I have 7 plus other fish and my tank is overstocked.

I'm thinking Angels and Discus would make for nice looking tank.

When they get larger (six months plus) they may get aggressive and territorial, especially if they start spawning.

Not all of them do but it us worth pointing out. Around smaller fish, Neon Tetras for example, they can become aggressive, even eating these fish.

Not all of them do but it us worth pointing out. Around smaller fish, Neon Tetras for example, they can become aggressive, even eating these fish.

I wouldnt keep any small fish in with them. How about Blood Red Parrot Cichlids? Would they be ok with the Discus?

Back
Top Bottom