Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

75 gallon stocking thoughts-Discus

We have our new 75gallon tank up and running, in last stage of cycling, with a handful of small starter fish which will be moved. We have thought about the following stock ,and would love to hear your thoughts! Yes my hubby wants somewhat of a community tank so a variety but main attraction of course is the Discus. Tried to do a few "unique" group of other tankmates.

5-Discus
5-Blue Rams
1-Rainbow Shark/or Bala Shark
2-Dawrf Gourami
5-Cardinal Tetra
1-Zebra Pleco
1-Synodontis Angelicus Catfish
2-Vapire Shrimp (due to size discus shouldn't mess with them?)

Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldnt go with a bala shark. They prefer to be in groups, and 75g isnt enough for a group of bala sharks. I would up the cardinal tetras, you could accomodate a nice big group in there. I think 5 would look lost somehow.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ya want schooling of sort and they are a little small maybe up to 10 tetra? Anythiuggts on a freshwater goby, the smaller ones? Just trying to even out the tank..highs, mids, lowers.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with the other responders, but I'd also suggest you start with the discus alone and see how they do. They are fussier about water conditions than the other species and the rule of thumb is 10 gallons per discus, so figure the other species have only 25 gallons to share.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I agree with the other responders, but I'd also suggest you start with the discus alone and see how they do. They are fussier about water conditions than the other species and the rule of thumb is 10 gallons per discus, so figure the other species have only 25 gallons to share.
One does not simply "start" with discus. Start with the cardinal tetras and blue rams. If you can keep them going for a year than consider discus.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good point. I don't know what the fish keeping skills are of ShellBell82 but if they have never had discus it would be more appropriate to start with other species. I didn't mean to imply that discus are "starter fish"; they certainly are not.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have 4 tanks current. 1 150 Salt fully stocked with coral, fish etc has been running for 4 years. 1 55 gallon community (kids tank), 1 40 gallon Angel and Glass Fish planted tank and 1 30 gallon Saltwater with a Lionfish. I uavr plenty of experience just never tried Discus and I LOVE then so hu by wanted a tank of our own that we decide what goes in the others are family tanks.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

One question I have is I have seen use of carbon and not to use Carbin with discus...what are your thoughts?
Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeders typically use sponge filters solely.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
One does not simply "start" with discus. Start with the cardinal tetras and blue rams. If you can keep them going for a year than consider discus.
Exactly! Cardinal tetras are somewhat difficult fish to keep for any length of time. If you can manage to maintain the water conditions they demand for an extended period, then the truly difficult to keep discus will have a fighting chance.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, discus, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com