90 Gallon Tank W 30 Gallon Sump (Suggestions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelphrey

Aquarium Advice Regular
The wife and I picked up a 90 gallon tank with a built in overflow and return lines this weekend. It also came with a 30 gallon sump. The tank was used for saltwater so I am in the process of cleaning it. This tank will be heavily stocked with mbuna cichlids. The plan is to use either a RIO HF17 (840 GPH at 4') or the RIO HF20 (990 GPH at 4'). The pump will be located on the right of the sump which is why I accounted for a 4' return length. The sump is actually drilled with ABS bulkheads, I will be replacing them with SCH 80 bulkheads. I am not against using an external pump if one is suggested.

2 of the baffles in the sump were broken. I have now taken out all 3 baffles. The picture below is my idea of how to build the wet/dry filter and is not to scale.
Youtube video of 90 and sump - May 4 2014 90 Gallon Freshwater with 30 Gallon Sump - YouTube

Suggestions, comments, concerns are welcome! Thanks in advance!

I am fixing to place an order online. I am buying my bioballs and ceramic media. Suggestions on foam(s) would be great also!

Attachments

• Wet-Dry NEW.jpg
    Wet-Dry NEW.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I'm still pretty new to all this, so I'll throw my two cents to make sure you've covered your bases, but have you looked at the overflow rate? If it's only a single 1" overflow, both the pumps are too powerful as the overflow can only handle 600gph.

If you accounted for that, then I'll just go back to lurking in the shadows and absorbing as much as I can.

I'm still pretty new to all this, so I'll throw my two cents to make sure you've covered your bases, but have you looked at the overflow rate? If it's only a single 1" overflow, both the pumps are too powerful as the overflow can only handle 600gph.

If you accounted for that, then I'll just go back to lurking in the shadows and absorbing as much as I can.

I am taking into account how I may plumb the return line back into the tank and the distance this might create. Also, if whichever pump I decide on is to powerful I'll add a ball joint and possibly a T into the return line. This would allow me to control the flow and direct the flow into the tank and also back into the sump with the T.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom