A beautiful wild platy species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emeraldking

Aquarium Advice Freak
Xiphophorus variatus La laguna...
A wild platy species...
You won't find them at an lfs...
img_4718-jpg.311947

img_4665-jpg.311948

img_4642-jpg.311949

One of my favorite fish growing up in the 60s was the Red Tailed Blue Variatus. They just never really took off, sales wise, in the shops so they disappeared from the market. People just wanted the different red varieties of Platies :( These are some great Variatus pics (y)(y)

One of my favorite fish growing up in the 60s was the Red Tailed Blue Variatus. They just never really took off, sales wise, in the shops so they disappeared from the market. People just wanted the different red varieties of Platies :( These are some great Variatus pics (y)(y)

Thanks, Andy.
Well, I do understand that everybody's got their own preferences when it comes to coloration, pattern and bodyshape when buying platies. But it's still such a shame that wild forms are lacking popularity. In the network I'm in, the majority prefer wild forms instead of breeding forms.

Thanks, Andy.
Well, I do understand that everybody's got their own preferences when it comes to coloration, pattern and bodyshape when buying platies. But it's still such a shame that wild forms are lacking popularity. In the network I'm in, the majority prefer wild forms instead of breeding forms.

It's a shame indeed. I've tried multiple times in shops I worked in to bring wild forms in to sell but in the end, I took a lot of fish home. :(
Fish have these colors and patterns for a reason. Only hardcore hobbyists seem to appreciate that. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom