accurate ph kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the jungle 5-n-1 test strips and the ph is reading between 7.5 and 7.8. I then used a drop ph kit and it showed it well over 8. Im afraid i may have screwed my water up. Which should I trust?

Strips are known to be much less accurate. A good API test kit would suit your needs well.

it was looking on the strips like my ph was around 6.8 i have mbuna cichlids so i wanted to raise it some. The lfs store told me to add a 1/4 cup of baking powder to my 75. I also got a friends drop kit after i added the baking power. the drop test only reads up to 8 and it looked well over that. My tap water does as well. It looks like there is still a lot of powder on the sub strait, i added the powder this morning. Do i need an immediate water change?

p.s. feel free to tell me if im stupid for listening to the lady at the pet store.

anyone? should i do a water change?did i mess up by adding baking powder? is everything going to do? i think i messed up and want to do what i can to fix it.

I would do a water change to prevent a pH crash. Adding something like baking soda is only a temporary fix, and shouldn't be used. If you have to add something to raise it add lace rock.

pH isn't a big deal as long as it's somewhere between 6-8, your fish can adapt

im glad i only put a quarter cup of baking powder in there... she told me to add a whole cup...

I would do a water change to prevent a pH crash. Adding something like baking soda is only a temporary fix, and shouldn't be used. If you have to add something to raise it add lace rock.

pH isn't a big deal as long as it's somewhere between 6-8, your fish can adapt

just did a 15% water change. hope that helps them out some.

Back
Top Bottom