Adding Rainbowfish to Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon aquarium. It is stocked with
10 Red Eye Tetras
9 Flame Tetras
7 Peppered Cories
4 False Julii Cories
3 Bosemani Rainbowfish (I believe 1 female and 2 males)
1 Australian Rainbowfish (I believe male)

I want more Australian Rainbows but want to make sure I build schools of them the right way. Any advice as to what I should get to keep them balanced?

Thanks!
Jana

I'm new to sexing fish but this is what I have. I assume the one w/out yellow is the female. They may still be young not sure.

Attachments

• image-298137106.jpg
    image-298137106.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1330482099.jpg
    image-1330482099.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3285426555.jpg
    image-3285426555.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 92
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. So basically I need 3-5 more Bosemani females and 2 Austrailian females.

Think my stock can handle 5-7 more fish?

The stock list is on my original post the tank has an eheim 2217 (normally has a 2073).

I'd say you'd be okay but would be best if you could put the bigger filter back on. Adding the females would put you full up.

Would the 2073 be able to handle that?

I don't min trying 1 female per male and see how it works first. Wonder if the LFS will swap some out. These are from Petsmart.

So now for my Austrailian Male or Female?

My vote is Male.

Attachments

• image-1586102640.jpg
    image-1586102640.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 77
Don't ask me for sexing on Rainbows, I've only keep a few over the years. The reason for keeping 2-3 females per male is so the females get some rest since the males attention is more spread out between females. Females can get harassed to death if they can't escape the attention of males constantly hounding them.

I only use Fluval canisters and don't know the flow rates of the Ehein's. My way of thinking is always more filtration is better.

No worries thanks! At least I have a basic idea of what I am looking for at the LFS. Filtration I will figure out. I can move some fish off to my 28 gallon (like the flame tetras) if I need to.

Thanks for all the help!

Jana

Would the 2073 be able to handle that?

I don't min trying 1 female per male and see how it works first. Wonder if the LFS will swap some out. These are from Petsmart.

So now for my Austrailian Male or Female?

My vote is Male.
Its a male. The anal fin is pointed, and the first dorsal fin overlaps the second. Rainbows need super clean water. If water conditions deteriorate they will develope a small growth on the bottom lip. It resembles a goatee. Several days of 10-15 water changes will clear it up. The Australis (Splendida) are sometimes a bit nippy!

when i bought my australian rainbow he had the little bump under its chin and my waters clean and steady and hasnt gone away what causes it

Less than pristine water conditions are usually the cause. Water that is considered excellent for most all fish is under par for bows. They are a great fish, but pretty picky about thier water. After they mature they are less susseptable to water quality. they are definitely a quirky fish. When I was into breeding them heavy, I did several 50% WC's each week to keep them in top form.

Its a male. The anal fin is pointed, and the first dorsal fin overlaps the second.
Is that how you tell on rainbows? I have been trying to figure this out for months! Mine are all still juvenile except one and I heard you can't tell until they grow.

Is that how you tell on rainbows? I have been trying to figure this out for months! Mine are all still juvenile except one and I heard you can't tell until they grow.
Thats the main way of sexing bows. The males will also start showing color at about 1.5-2", usually in the fins, and tail. The dorsal fin overlap is the main factor. However I have had a few Wanamensis female develope some overlap at maturity!!

Foster53 I may PM you. I went to Petsmart today and thought I could identify 3 females 2 Australians and 1 Bosemani. If you would give a guess I'd appreciate it!

I got these. Not great. All the rainbows were so young. They said I had 14 days to return them. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3095067966.jpg
    image-3095067966.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image-106974631.jpg
    image-106974631.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1286273347.jpg
    image-1286273347.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1637560382.jpg
    image-1637560382.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 44
Hope these are better. There is one more Australian I can't quite get yet.

Attachments

• image-13935782.jpg
    image-13935782.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image-1247525473.jpg
    image-1247525473.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 51
They are both female.

The male bosemani will be half blue half yellow orange.
The male Australian will have a point lower fin that's clearly disconnected from the body.

Sorry. Fish anatomy other than the digestive system is not my forte, but I do know males from females. Just not the names of each fin.

I know
anal
dorsal,
But that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom