adjusting Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHEEZY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I was just wondering what the best way to keep my Ph proper would be. I've read that putting chemicals in can rebound and make it worse in the long run

It's difficult to keep the pH from fluctuating in an aquarium; the volume of water is simply not enough to keep the water chemistry perfectly stable.

That said, daily water changes should keep your water parameters stable enough so that you don't see the deviations you're trying to avoid. But even then, the tap water itself will pump out different chemistries depending on a whole variety of issues. It's tough. By the way, most fish don't mind minor fluctuations.

Hang on for more advice.

David

It's difficult to keep the pH from fluctuating in an aquarium; the volume of water is simply not enough to keep the water chemistry perfectly stable.

That said, daily water changes should keep your water parameters stable enough so that you don't see the deviations you're trying to avoid. But even then, the tap water itself will pump out different chemistries depending on a whole variety of issues. It's tough. By the way, most fish don't mind minor fluctuations.

Hang on for more advice.

David
For the sake of keeping and enjoying the tank for the long haul I wouldn't recommend daily water changes. If the OP keeps the tank clean and doesn't over feed to avoid ammonia spikes then weekly maintenance should be fine.

For the sake of keeping and enjoying the tank for the long haul I wouldn't recommend daily water changes. If the OP keeps the tank clean and doesn't over feed to avoid ammonia spikes then weekly maintenance should be fine.
Hello Amicus,

I understand that my suggestion is not a practical one. The OP does not have to apply my suggestion if he does not have the time, energy, and commitment to do so; I was just illustrating a general thought as to how to keep the pH from swinging, which I continue to believe is a valid one.

The OPs question, and my response, was written with a focus on keeping the pH steady and had nothing to do with ammonia spikes or the frequency of maintenance.

David

Hello Amicus,

I understand that my suggestion is not a practical one. The OP does not have to apply my suggestion if he does not have the time, energy, and commitment to do so; I was just illustrating a general thought as to how to keep the pH from swinging, which I continue to believe is a valid one.

The OPs question, and my response, was written with a focus on keeping the pH steady and had nothing to do with ammonia spikes or the frequency of maintenance.

David
David,
I did not mean to say that your suggestion was not a good one. I was just illustrating how making things easier with regards to maintenance will help the OP to enjoy the tank more. I believe that daily, weekly or monthly water changes have everything to do with tank maintenance.
When the pH fluctuates in a tank and there is excess ammonia it becomes exponentially more concentrated, that's why I brought it up. It was not meant in any way to attempt to invalidate your suggestion.

Limestone and special gravels, assuming they are calcium based, are going to keep the water hard and the ph alkaline.

Ph fluctuations are actually most often a result of lack of buffer rather than tank volume in itself. It's relatively easy to maintain a particular gh/kh even in a small tank if one gets familiar with the basic aspects of water hardness.

That said, in many cases this kind of micromanagement is both unnecessary and unfruitful.

+1 With Jeta!

If you must lower it, driftwood, indian almond leaves, and peat moss will help a little.

Your pH Question

Hey I was just wondering what the best way to keep my Ph proper would be. I've read that putting chemicals in can rebound and make it worse in the long run

Hello CH...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to be concerned with acidic or basic tap water. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adjust to the vast majority of public water supplies. A constant pH between 6 and 8.5 is very tolerable for most fish. The key word here is "constant".

If you follow a sound tank maintenance routine that includes large, weekly water changes, then you'll guarantee stable water conditions for your fish and plants. Don't get "creative" and try to change it. You won't be able to keep it level and sudden changes in water chemistry is a recipe for trouble.

Just a couple of thoughts. You're the "Waterkeeper".

B

Back
Top Bottom