Advice for a centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwcpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

We recently lost our blood parrot cichlid and are thinking about a good replacement. We have a 46 gallon bowfront with five boosemani rainbows and one electric blue acara cichlid.

The thing we loved about the parrot cichlid is that it would interact with us. When we came near the aquarium, it would always be right there greeting us. And it would eat from my hand. The rainbows are not like that at all and the acara is somewhat shy. I do wonder if the acara might come out of his shell now that the larger parrot fish is gone.

Looking for suggestions for another single larger fish that would have the pet-like personality similar to our parrot. BTW, I will never own another blood parrot cichlid for a few reasons, even though we really loved its personality. It was prone to swim bladder issues and had difficulty eating. When I purchased it, I didn't know that it is a hybrid species.

I'm thinking about a single angelfish but worry about aggression. I've never owned an angel before, but assume there are good reasons for their popularity.

Thanks in advance!

Angelfish are popular for their looks, I'm pretty sure that's it. They can be pretty territorial. But maybe you can end up with a nice one?
The majority of the fish with good personalities either are too small (pea puffers, bettas etc) or get too big for your tank (oscars, flowerhorns etc.).
I would wait to see how the acara does without the parrot cichlid for a few weeks.

Let that acara own the tank for a bit. mine are all little wagging water puppies. They get fairly large. Maybe even add a couple more acara??

I'm not fond of the concept of centerpiece fish. Virtually all fish are happier and healthier in groups.
Angelfish are not as aggressive as some make them out to be. They will chase other fish away from their eggs but I've never seen an angel hurt another fish. Get 4 angelfish. I have several tanks of angels and they all fed from my hand.

Back
Top Bottom