Advice for cleaning out algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lolli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small 6.6g tank with cherry shrimp and a few java ferns/mosses that is developing algae problems.

All my plants are covered in a thin film of slime algae and the walls of the tank are covered in that hard circular algae that doesn't wipe off. The tank is only about 2 months old and there are only about 20 shrimp (or less? I never seem to see as many as I put in originally), so they apparently can't keep up with eating the stuff. It also apparently loves to grow on my DIY sponge filter.

So my question is, how should I go about cleaning the tank? I'd want to drain the tank down to gravel, remove the plants and animals, and just clean everything but I feel like I'd never be able to catch all the shrimp and I'd end up killing a few off when I stir up the gravel to get the crap out.

Also, the sponge filter is only about 1.5 months old but covered in algae. If I keep using it I know it'll just instantly repopulate the tank with the stuff, yet it seems premature to change it out after such a short amount of time.

No, indirect sunlight. It doesn't grow that fast but nothing is keeping it back, there aren't enough shrimp to eat it so I'm wondering how to clean it out.

Back
Top Bottom