Advice on water change/cleaning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Need to do a water change and cleaning, but my concern is the nursery with 5 little Platy fry in it. I know they need clean water as well, right? How do you clean the nursery without hurting the babies? Or could fresh water possibly stress them because of the change? I just want to make sure I have a plan of action before I start!
Thanks in advance!

is your nursery just a sectioned off area of a main tank, or a seperate tank? If its a seperate tank how small is it? you could change small amounts of water at a time if its small enough.

It's the breeder/nursery box that hangs inside the main tank. My fear is that they could get sucked up because they are so small OR the water change will stress & kill them :(
The ph right now is acidic and the nitrites are high. Was told the best thing would be to do a water change...50% maybe??

Strain the intake of your hose with pantyhose or something like that. Make sure temp is the same when you add new water.

Finishing adding fresh water now, filtered the water because our water is SO hard and added water conditioner. Anything else I should watch out for or try?
Thanks!

Oh you filter your water? That's an interesting idea. My water is also crunchy.

Use a covered siphon to clean crap out of the nursery box as someone already mentioned. Or use a turkey baster like I do. Since your box hangs inside your tank, do water changes often for the whole tank. I would do at least 3 times a week. I would suck waste out of the nursery box at least daily, once after feeding would be ideal. They poop a lot! Just like the adults ;)

No they wont die from stress of water changes. Like I said in your previous thread, platy fry are very hardy. They are tougher than you perceive them to be, honestly. For example, I order fry online and they spend a few days in the mail, and arrive and acclimate fine. So don't worry about stressing them with water changes.

They will die if you beat them or something, but normal procedures like water changes are fine if you watch out for them. I have sucked up a few of mine with the siphon. They have a little adventure in the water change bucket, but no harm done.

Keeping water quality up is very important. They dont grow as well if the water is not clean.

domsmom said:
It's the breeder/nursery box that hangs inside the main tank. My fear is that they could get sucked up because they are so small OR the water change will stress & kill them :(
The ph right now is acidic and the nitrites are high. Was told the best thing would be to do a water change...50% maybe??

Oh i didn't see this. Yes do water changes. Try 30% today, 30% tomorrow and see how it helps. I would be hesitant changing 50% right now. I would do it over 2 days.

Your ph is acidic and your water is very hard? I don't often hear that. That's very strange.
By the way, Platties do better in alkaline conditions. They will be fine in acidic water, but just for your knowledge.

Good to know, thanks for all the advice! I just checked levels and they all seem to be ok right now. Makes me feel like I'm maybe doing something right! Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom