Aerating action ornaments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davy_Jones

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what do you think of the bubbling ornaments and who all uses them?
thanks-

I don't use them in my tanks, but that's because I prefer a natural look. It's all preference.

I have two (a sunken pirate ship and a windmill) in my 30g tank as the significant other loves them. Caution: Make sure the bubbles do not get into the intake tube!

I had trouble finding interesting ones a year or two ago at the LFS's when I was going to set up such things. Not the variety I remember from my youth.

Jchillin said:
I have two (a sunken pirate ship and a windmill) in my 30g tank as the significant other loves them. Caution: Make sure the bubbles do not get into the intake tube!
Eany pictures? :D
Also, I was wondering how to set them up, with out the air tube showing?

Davy_Jones said:
any pictures? :D

You can always hide the tubes behind a large plant. I did not in this case (the windmill is on the right, behind the stone thingy).

Attachments

• dec312006_190.jpg
    dec312006_190.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35

I like to use rigid plastic tubing. I use a heat gun and bend a 90 on the bottom. A 'U' is bent on the top end so that it wraps around the to edge of the tank. This gets run in the corner of the tank so that the bend ends up below the substrate. From there I bury a piece of hose that leads over to the stone/decoration. All that is seen is the perfectly straight piece of tubing that blends into the corner of the tank. Then all you do is to attach a piece of hose to the end that is out of the tank and run that to the pump.

Photo's upon request :)

The plastic tube bent up and ready to use. I used a heat gun to heat the plastic up to the point of being flexible. You can use a flame but be careful not to over heat and turn it black.

tube1.jpg

Hang the hook portion of the tube over the edge of the tank and connect the supply air hose.

tube4.jpg

You can add as much hose on the floor of the tank as you need and put the device where ever you want it. Cover the hose with substrate and you never see it again.

tube5.jpg

If you like you can bend a little offset in the vertical portion of the tube and lay it in the corner of the tank. It pretty much disappears at that point.

tube.jpg

I hope this helps.

Very nice job! Burning the glass black might not be so bad at the bottom if you have dark substrate.

Back
Top Bottom