African Cichlid Lifespans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've kept Africans (Malawian mbuna) for several years now but have never kept any of them long enough to have one die of "natural causes" AFAIK. My current tank was started slightly over a year ago and I still have virtually every one of my original stock. They were all introduced as small juveniles and are now reaching maturity. My question is: what is the natural lifespan of most Malawian mbuna? I know that most species don't reach full size for several years but I have no idea what their average lifespan is. Thanks! :)

That's a good question Travis. I've had a couple that grew to just about their full size before I gave them back to the fish store. They reached their sexual maturity and were starting to harass other smaller fish.

If cared for correctly, most Mbunas have a typical lifespan of between 7 and 10 years.

The Cyphotilapia frontosa from Lake Tang actually has a lifespan of 25 years. That's one fish that you buy and really become attached to. :D

Back
Top Bottom