Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aggressive Penguin Tetras?

I just moved my two Penguin tetras from my 30gal to my 55gal. I originally had 6, but am down to these two. In the 30 gal they were the smallest fish and didn't bother anyone except each other (no damage, just a lot of chasing). Now, in the 55, they are about the same size as all the other fish (6 1 inch turquoise rainbows, corys, otos, SAEs) and they chase EVERYONE. They harass my SAEs, i think because of the color resemblance. They appear to have staked out territories, and none of the other fish can come into their territories for long without getting chased out. (Maybe I have some kind of mutant cichlid-tetra?? Just kidding)

Anyone had this happen? Should I get more and hope they decide to school?

Old 04-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Penguin Tetras are REALLY nippy fish and can have quite large territories.

You will need more of them to stop the agression that you are seeing. I would add in at least 6 if that is feasable at all.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggressive, penguin, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com