AHH ITS THE ATTACK OF ALGAE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10 gallon tank has been over come with algae while i was away on a trip. It has normal flourescent lighting. Tetras and 2 kuhli loaches. Levels are all norm, no ammonia nitrates low. Been going for maybe a month or a little more. Fish are fine but would like a solution to the algae. The algae is brown. I use dechlorinated tap water for my changes but have only done 2 and they were both siphon from the bottom. What HOB filter do you guys recomend? Can I get an algae magnet that is small enough for my tank? Please help.

How long were you gone, Lights on for how long?
I would clean all the decorations (if any) and the glass and due a few water changes. Mag-Float makes a small magnet glass cleaner that would be small enough for your tank. As for a filter my prefrences are either Whisper or Aquaclear filters both are good filters. IMO the Aquaclear is easier to maintain, but both will do a good job. Are you using any filter at this time?

Regent HOB filter. I am going to clean all my decorations tomarrow after I get my magnet and a new pleco. The lights have been off for about 24 hours and im going to leave them off.

algae

Cleaning and a few water changes is, as EMS503 said, probably your best bet. Seems like stuff like this always happens when you're gone for a little while. Did anyone feed the fish while you were gone? Both the Whisper and the Aquaclear are very good filters. My preference for a 10g FW is the Penguin with a bio wheel. I doubt they are actually a better quality filter...I just like and have had good luck with bio wheel filters.
Logan J

yes, my mother fed my fish and yesterday she forgot to turn the light on so it has not been on since thur. evening. I put a towel over one side of the tank to block the natural light today. I wont feed for a few days and i will clean it up a little today.

In my 11.1 gallon at the moment, I'm starting to obtain small, random browny / yellowy speckled patches on the front glass. They look far too thin and small for a large algae, but is this the same sort of thing do people think ?

Back
Top Bottom