Al My Fish Are Dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
M not a beginner but this is weird to me. I did a big water change like 75% and vacuumed the gravel and I left after filling back up and adding prime and then I came back about 30 minutes later and all my fish but my angel and guppies were dead or were almost dead. Anybody have an idea why this happened?

Looks like something got into the tank.... Did you added enough PRIME? for the 75% water change?
Maybe the PRIME is bad.... I don't know

KeeperOfFish said:
M not a beginner but this is weird to me. I did a big water change like 75% and vacuumed the gravel and I left after filling back up and adding prime and then I came back about 30 minutes later and all my fish but my angel and guppies were dead or were almost dead. Anybody have an idea why this happened?

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! Ring your water company and ask if they have done any maintenance or added extra chlorine or chloramine. I have heard of this happening before. Have you tested your params yet?

It could be your water company doing maintance but i have to ask why did you do a 75 percent wc and how large is your tank? At any rate 75 percent wc is a lot and has been known to mess with a tanks cycle.

I took out 75% because the water was really cloudy and I was vacuuming gravel so it ended up that much water. Haven't tested the water yet I will do that. And it's 40 gallons. This is horrible I thought I was helping them and instead they all die:(

How often do you change your water? What is your level of ammo, nitrites, nitrates? Was there anything on your hands that could have gotten in the tank? Was there any liquid that may have gotten in the tank?

well all that new water added has been known to spike your amonia so watch out for that. simular to new tank syndrome. might be a reason?

bruinsbro1997 said:
How often do you change your water? What is your level of ammo, nitrites, nitrates? Was there anything on your hands that could have gotten in the tank? Was there any liquid that may have gotten in the tank?

I've been so busy lately it's been way too long since I last changed the water probably 2-3 weeks and the levels weren't good...
Ammo 0.50
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0
As if it hasn't been cycled but the last time I checked it was perfect but I think when I stirred up all that stuff in the gravel it messed up everything and took out all that water:/
And no nothing on my hands or liquids. The angel my guppies are still alive and that about it.

Thanks for your answers guys. I think what happened was the large water change and the fact that I hadn't done one in a long time an so much ammonia had built up.

Large water change is a good thing. I routinely do 50% or more on most of the tanks here. There is something else going on IMO.

I agree with Severum, a large water change shouldn't have killed your fish so suddenly. Did you add the Prime before adding all the new water into the tank or after?

Maybe your heaters were out of the water too long and fried, sending shocks through the water when you refilled it. Just a thought.

Sorry I never replied much but it wasn't heaters because I don't have any in there and ya I figured large water changes were good so Im still not sure what happened but of all the fish I had my angelfish, three guppies, and one platy are still alive. The water params are all good now I've tested several times. So now I'm gonna restock it probably with more guppies or something thats hardy. But ya there's an update.

Back
Top Bottom