Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leannaby

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a brownish algae growing in my tank.. On glass and on plants.. How can I solve this or reduce it without a algae eater such as a plec as I have 3 african dwarf frogs and have heard they can attack the frogs

It's 3 months now.. Everything has been perfect.. Live plants growing well.. Fish are doing well and have had fry from my guppies.

Would it help adding a air pump to introduce more oxygen as I heard that could be a source of the algae.. Or it the facts that the lights are on too long

I do a 25% water change weekly.. Have read so much about different percentages and how often.. Hope this is right

I would consider reducing the lighting period down a bit to ten hours a day. Does your tank have any natural daylight hitting it as this could also be a reason. I would get my hands wet and scrub as much of it off as physically possible and do a water change. The brown algae usually appears much earlier in a tanks life. Are you gravel vacuuming as this could be another issue.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is away from natural light.. When I do a water change I do gravel clean aswell

I would consider reducing the lighting period down a bit to ten hours a day. Does your tank have any natural daylight hitting it as this could also be a reason. I would get my hands wet and scrub as much of it off as physically possible and do a water change. The brown algae usually appears much earlier in a tanks life. Are you gravel vacuuming as this could be another issue as this needs to be done as part of regular maintenance. Yes increasing oxygen will also help.

It could just be diatoms. A picture would help. Diatoms are nothing to worry about. Algae, just reduce the lighting period.

I thought diatoms usually appear much earlier than 3 months.

Eh, can appear as late as 6 months. All depends, but regardless the biggest algae control in freshwater is lighting. Next of course are water changes. Personally I've tried to encourage algae growth and I can't really get any.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom