Algae and heat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi...

Higher temps do stress fish out a little bit, and bring their defenses down some. But most fish should be able to handle it just fine. Just do it slowly. Less hardy fish like otos, and also inverts like shrimp, might be a whole different story. Just remember this, it's not the recommended method for getting rid of algae, just a last resort before having to go to chemicals, which you should not do anyways. I'd rather rip out the plants and start over before I use chems.

As for the algae coming back, we don't know. Now if your parameters are out of sync, yes, will definitely come back. The #1 method of algae removal should be getting your parameters in line. But if you have algae so bad, and all else fails, you could try the heat method, before starting over from scratch.

Another idea is bleach dips as well. But that doesn't work with greenwater, which is the primary reason I started the thread. Even when using diatom filters, it usually does come back until you get your parameters in sync. But if it's all killed off, then is there any greenwater to come back? My thoughts are it shouldn't. We'll see what my tank looks like after my battle with ick is complete. Will post all results. :)

Greenwater, wasn't bad:
Before:
75g172.jpg

After: You can see through the tank from the end, crystal clear.
75g228.jpg

75g230.jpg

Anacharis:
Before:
75g112.jpg

75g113.jpg

After:
75g224.jpg

Other algae:
Before:
75g134.jpg

75g114.jpg

75g115.jpg

After:
75g230.jpg

75g231.jpg

75g232.jpg

CAUTION!!!!

I just had 3 roseline sharks die on me overnight due to the lack of O2. So if you are using heat for any treatment, and are injecting CO2, beware. I'm running a bubble stone 24/7, and even with this, they had a lack of O2. So I turned the bubble stone up all the way so there's lots of air coming out and surfacing. Hopefully this will help. I wish I would have never cleaned the tank with the same algae scrubber right after cleaning the 55G with ick in the tank.

This lack of O2 I believe is due to being so heavily planted, as plants use O2 at night as well. And at higher temps, water holds less O2.

I am so sorry about the loss of your beautiful fish.....that stinks. I've got my water level down a bit so the HOB's return provides some surface agitation, and I'm only on DIY CO2, but that is a good point to keep in mind when upping the temps, particularly in a planted tank.

Well, I had a bunch of black beard algae or something similar on most of my plants, and after 3 days of being at 89* its starting to turn a light grey now and seems to be thinning out.

Sorry to hear about your losses as well.

Back
Top Bottom