algae wafers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will algae wafers foul the water like other foods? It took my yellow labs a while to break it down, and at lights off there were still a few chunks. Should I remove them?

Yes, they certainly will, and if you leave them for long enough the chunks will get moldy!!!!!!!! I find it's generally true that if you leave the wafers in for longer than a day or so, the fish lose interest (kinda like my cat and her kibbles). I'd recommend using half a wafer if the wafers you're giving are consistently not being finished. If there is any left after the day, fish that out. It will only foul up your tank and make your gravel vaccing harder (if you gravel vac).

Also, how many algae eaters do you have in what size of a tank? You may not need to give them the wafers all that often.

Jonathan

I just started feeding them, I've never had herbivorious fish (besides ottos but they ate the algae off the glass), so I'm just getting a feel for how much to feed them. I dropped two in for 5 Yellow labs in a 30 gallon tank. I put 2 in my 10 gallon but between my cories and my ottos they tore them up.

Wow, those sinking wafers don't last long enough to get moldy in my tanks. Its like a feeding frenzy every time I drop one in (sometimes the catfish get completely pushed away, poor little guys).

All my fish seem to love those things.

Back
Top Bottom