Algea Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
On another board someone recommended using hortwart to control a stringy algea that I have growing in my tank. The hortward it suppose to use up the nutrients so the algea will basically starve itself off. Any problems associated with hortwart? Ie hard to control? Do fish feed off of it?

Another recommendation was getting a few rosy barbs. I checked these guys out and like the long fin variety. Does anyone have any practical knowledge of them?

Thomas

string algae control factors:

regular water changes always help.

tank light on 10 hours or less every day

Hornwort and other live plants will use up nutrients and hopefuly reduce algae. you need proper lights at the least for live plants.

Rosy barbs have a good rep for string algae eating, but like most barbs, can be fin nippers.

Someone on the other forum said that the plant was hornwort as well. I did a search and found both. The hornwort is familiar to me, but it's been a long time since I've had any type of live plant in the tank due to inadequate lighting. They said to float it so I might try that. Could look nice as well.

quote]Rosy barbs have a good rep for string algae eating, but like most barbs, can be fin nippers.[/quote]

I read the same. I think it might be worth the trouble to find out.

Hi mitche8359,

Rosy barbs have a good rep for string algae eating, but like most barbs, can be fin nippers.
All Barbs can be fin nippers but in my experience, BUT if you have 5 or more together, they tend to pick on each other and leave the other tankmates alone.

I love Barbs, I have 9 Tiger Barbs in my tank. They are really fast and agile and it seems that every single one has it's own unique personality and quirky traits.

Fun to watch the antics.

5 or more together

Ok I started a new trend with getting several of the same species so getting a school of them fits into the plan. Just need to wait a few more days to make sure the tank issue is really over.

Rosy barbs

I can't add much to what has already been said except that Rosy Barbs (puntius conchonius) can get up to 6" long. 5 of them at that size are a lot of fish.
Logan J

Algea gone

Well great news, I think. The stringy green algea in the tank is gone. I reduced the light to 7 hours a day and the Algea is no more. Not sure what did it in. Maybe the plecos ate it, maybe the lower light levels. I just hope that what's killing off the fish isn't responsible for killing the algea as well.

Back
Top Bottom