Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to fish less cycle my new tank but there isn't a ace hardware near by. Where else can I get pure ammonia? Would somewhere like target or Walmart have it or somewhere like Menards?

I've seen it at wal mart, not sure about target though. Not sure about menards either.

The ones I've found at Walmart were eirher scented or contained surfactants. YMMV, but always check the label.

jetajockey said:
i found pure ammonia with no surfactants at dollar tree. I think it was blue ribbon label.

Thanks I found some there and it was only $1! Thanks for everyone's help. One step closer to cycling my new tank!

Ok. So now that I have it how to I dose it? I read on here to do it with a baby's medicine thing but I don't have one of those is there a different way or should I go buy one?

Ok. So now that I have it how to I dose it? I read on here to do it with a baby's medicine thing but I don't have one of those is there a different way or should I go buy one?

You could or you could just add a few drops, wait 30 minutes, and test. If you need to add more, add a few more drops, wait 30 minutes, test, etc until you get to 4 PPM. Then just count up the number of drops you used to get to 4 so you'll know for the future. Ammonia is generally very potent depending on the brand so a little goes a long way, adding a few drops at a time is tedious but better than adding too much and having to do water changes to get it down. Here's a calculator too that will tell you how much to add in ML: Calculator (1 teaspoon = 4.92 ML).

Back
Top Bottom