Ampul fertilizers question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello people :)

I was wondering about my fertz that I bought couple months ago.

This picture shows my fertz (exactly the same, but I have only 4 left out of 6)
PD01617_50.jpg

I was wondering,,,, The box & manual say 1 ampul for 200 litres of water (68 gallons).

I have a 54l (14gal) tank.

If I use 1/4 of the ampul and then seal it off with tape or something will it still be OK for a month or so... Or will it be useless and not effective anymore.

The ampuls include mostly Iron I gues. :p

I think you should probably change out your ampules a little less often maybe. So if it says change ampules as soon as they run empty. With your case wait a few days then change the fert bottles. That way you won't have a buildup of Iron in your tank.

I think you should probably change out your ampules a little less often maybe. So if it says change ampules as soon as they run empty. With your case wait a few days then change the fert bottles. That way you won't have a buildup of Iron in your tank.
Thanks for the information, but I don't quit get it...Can you explain please what u mean by changing ampules and so on ... :confused:

I have friends that use something similar to your product, all they do is break it open and toss it into the tank and let the nutrients slowly diffuse after a month. I don't know the instructions on this stuff myself. I've read on it and it apparently is sealed with nitrogen instead of air so the iron wouldn't oxidize. So your method of just resealing it would not work. Once iron comes into contact with the atmosphere it will begin to oxidize and become insoluble, in other words, unusable.

Here's a solution (math intensive, sorry):

If one ampule treats 200L of water, You need the same concentration in both. Thus, if you gave me the %mass of any one substance in your fertilizer and the volume of one ampule I can calculate for you, the amount of liquid you would need to dilute the ampule. So you can just dose it yourself. (It may end up making your one box of vials into a years supply.)

EDIT: Did the stoichiometry on it. You need to dilute one ampoule in 13.4 times its own volume of distilled water. Then treat each week or whatever with exactly 1 ampoule full of this new solution. Tadah. I've just made your fertilizer last you a year lol. I pretended that whatever this substance is was "pure". If i knew the mass % of the ingredients I could give you an exact measurement but 1 vial in 13 vials of water will give you a close enough to perfect amount of solution.

I have friends that use something similar to your product, all they do is break it open and toss it into the tank and let the nutrients slowly diffuse after a month. I don't know the instructions on this stuff myself. I've read on it and it apparently is sealed with nitrogen instead of air so the iron wouldn't oxidize. So your method of just resealing it would not work. Once iron comes into contact with the atmosphere it will begin to oxidize and become insoluble, in other words, unusable.

Here's a solution (math intensive, sorry):

If one ampule treats 200L of water, You need the same concentration in both. Thus, if you gave me the %mass of any one substance in your fertilizer and the volume of one ampule I can calculate for you, the amount of liquid you would need to dilute the ampule. So you can just dose it yourself. (It may end up making your one box of vials into a years supply.)

EDIT: Did the stoichiometry on it. You need to dilute one ampoule in 13.4 times its own volume of distilled water. Then treat each week or whatever with exactly 1 ampoule full of this new solution. Tadah. I've just made your fertilizer last you a year lol. I pretended that whatever this substance is was "pure". If i knew the mass % of the ingredients I could give you an exact measurement but 1 vial in 13 vials of water will give you a close enough to perfect amount of solution.

So what you are trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong), If I add 1 ampul into a bottle (for exemmple 1 gallon/2litre bottle) full with destilled water, I can use weekly a small amount of that water into my tank as a fertilizer?:rolleyes:

EDIT: I don't think I still have the manual of the Fertz, but the box says nothing about mass of ingredients, it has a lot of ingredients, mainly IRON.

EDIT2: I FOUND the manual!! 1min.
- It says nothing but the same on the box. "U should add this ampul/200litres if you have bad plant grow" and so on. But no details...

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Woo solution stoichiometry. It's as easy as that. I would shake it every time before you use it though, in case the solution decides to separate.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Woo solution stoichiometry. It's as easy as that. I would shake it every time before you use it though, in case the solution decides to separate.
Oh GREAT!!

Only thing I'm worried about is, won't the chemistry vaporate or something from the bottle. I will seal it with a cap ofcours, but I'm just asking... :rolleyes:

EDIT: The volume of the ampul is (cm): 0.35² * 4.3 * pi = 1.7 cl

so 1.7 x 13 = 22.1 cl

I need a bottle of 22 centiliters / ampul.

Am I correct?

Yes, however it will eventually reach equilibrium if you seal the bottle with a top. The amount of liquid lost won't be much at all. Just make sure you shake it. And yes about 220ml per 17ml of fluid should just be perfect. With this regimen you can just change the concentration if you don't see enough growth. Eventually you will reach the perfect concentration.

Yes, however it will eventually reach equilibrium if you seal the bottle with a top. The amount of liquid lost won't be much at all. Just make sure you shake it. And yes about 220ml per 17ml of fluid should just be perfect. With this regimen you can just change the concentration if you don't see enough growth. Eventually you will reach the perfect concentration.
OK!! Thank you so much!! :D

I will give you results, if there will be any :D:D

Back
Top Bottom