"Angels have the Tardis" tank idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband and I have been batting around the idea of setting up a Dr. Who themed angel tank... Still in the VERY early planning stages, but basic thought is that we'd have a Tardis and Weeping Angel statues in the tank along with rock work and mosses/live plants that give an "old, overgrown"/cave feel.

How would you finish off the stocking list to fit with this theme? Currently thinking maybe a 56 gallon column but size is flexible, basically looking for something that can keep more than just a pair of angels. Also, any tips for the best way to keep 4+ angels without too many aggression issues would be appreciated as I've only kept singles or pairs before :)

I am not one for "unnatural" looking tanks but I think this is one of the coolest ideas ever, too bad the doctor never fought a crazy fish like alien that might have made stocking easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not one for "unnatural" looking tanks but I think this is one of the coolest ideas ever, too bad the doctor never fought a crazy fish like alien that might have made stocking easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hehe, thanks! I think this will still look fairly natural, as I'll still be using live plants and rocks for background decor. I don't see anything wrong with accenting the natural with Dr. Who though ;)

I have three angels now in my 55 and they don't really fight. My advice would be to get the four angels you want if they are roughly the same size and add them at the same time.

As long as you have lots of plants so that they can go to their end and not see the others....I had to do something similar for my angels. They will be okay until after they pair off, then they get a bit "narky" with the others

Great idea on the Dr. Who theme, please post photos when you have it finished, it would be great to see

As long as you have lots of plants so that they can go to their end and not see the others....I had to do something similar for my angels. They will be okay until after they pair off, then they get a bit "narky" with the others

Yep, I don't like "bare" looking tanks, so there will be plenty of caves, plants, rocks, decor to break up lines of sight.

Great idea on the Dr. Who theme, please post photos when you have it finished, it would be great to see

Sadly this tank won't be until we move, so it's a ways off yet. Will definitely post pics when we start though :D

My husband and I have been batting around the idea of setting up a Dr. Who themed angel tank... Still in the VERY early planning stages, but basic thought is that we'd have a Tardis and Weeping Angel statues in the tank along with rock work and mosses/live plants that give an "old, overgrown"/cave feel.

How would you finish off the stocking list to fit with this theme? Currently thinking maybe a 56 gallon column but size is flexible, basically looking for something that can keep more than just a pair of angels. Also, any tips for the best way to keep 4+ angels without too many aggression issues would be appreciated as I've only kept singles or pairs before :)

To keep angels from getting aggressive you need to keep them in an odd number. Such as 3, 5, 7, etc. also try to get more females than males. A ratio of 2 females to 1 male would be good.

The Doctor did actually face a race of shape shifting fish people. They turned out to be good guys or something. Not really related to any species of fish that I'm aware of, however.

The issues with grouping of angels is when they mature and pair off. Pairs protect each other and can bully the odd man out. You could have two or four males.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To keep angels from getting aggressive you need to keep them in an odd number. Such as 3, 5, 7, etc. also try to get more females than males. A ratio of 2 females to 1 male would be good.

Odd numbers is a never ending myth about keeping fish that stems from the 1 male to 2 female ratio. It doesn't help to stock odd numbers vs even numbers beyond the first three.

Also, overstocking females doesn't work for pairing fish. The two that pair will just end up picking on all the others.

That was a good episode, and nice idea. Maybe fill it in with some julii corys on the bottom and some larger tetras, pencilfish, or you could try something bigger like a peacock eel and silver hatchetfish.

Back
Top Bottom