Any fish that eats algae for small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyAddict1999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 14 gallon tank and I have a terrible algae problem an I am wondering if there is any fish like a pleco which is active and will eat a lot of algae and that is suitable or large gravel? I find all algae eating fish really interesting and I am limited to a 14 gallon.

All help is appreciated,
FishyAddict

14G Freshwater- Guppies,Platies in the future will be planted

Best to treat the cause of the algae problem first. How long do you leave your lights on? Is the tank getting lots of sun light? What are the nitrate levels? In a tank that size, I would not recommend a pleco, although otos could work. Another great algae eating fish is the platy. I am surprised yours are not dining on the algae.

A 14g and a Pleco do not match. The Pleco is a very big fish and will probably make more of a mess in your tank than clean it, they are big eaters=big poopers.

Clean the algae manually.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had an issue with alage in my tank. It did wonders when I started turning the lights on and off at the same time every day. I added a moss ball as well. I was skeptical about adding one but after much reading and having babysat my girlfriends for a week i got one. All algae spikes gone as well as all the stringy stuff that was all over my wisteria.

Back
Top Bottom